Question

Honor Student
mdiment
Message 1 of 12 (6,381 Views)

error 92h

HP Probook 5330m shows "pePC has been corrupted (error 92h)" and fails to boot into Windows.

Googling indicates that Drive Encryption for HP Protect Tools which is on the HP Win7 64-bit image pre-installed on the laptop is the faulting application, possibly due to a clash with McAfee EPO installed Endpoint Protection software but I have not found a fix anywhere.

Fault call logged with HP and escalated to 2nd line support which may result in some assistance in time but the laptop user is desperate for a swift solution.

Anyone with experience of this issue and knowledge of the necessary steps to resolve it - we need yor help!

Thank you

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 12 (6,338 Views)

Re: error 92h

All I could suggest is to perform a reinstall of the OS, not sure if the probook comes with HP recovery or not.

Post back if you find the solution, thanks.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 3 of 12 (6,336 Views)

You might make a post on the ProBook forum also.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-HP-ProBook-Compaq-Slate/bd-p/bsc-274

Honor Student
mdiment
Message 4 of 12 (6,333 Views)

Thanks for the response. I haven't yet got my hands on the affected machine - that will happen on Monday and I hope by then to have had some helpful communication back from HP.

I'll post back on progress, in the meantime if anyone has any pointers that might at least enable me to salvage the user's data before using the supplied HP discs to revert to factory settings I'd appreciate it enormously.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 5 of 12 (6,332 Views)

Thanks, another reason I don't use drive encryption, seems like a bad idea when things go wrong.

I appreciate a follow up if you solve it.

Honor Student
jdtham
Message 6 of 12 (6,319 Views)

I have a recently purchased EliteBook and posted the following on the ProBook forum.  I too am looking for a solution to this issue, however hope the following somewhat helps:

I have an HP that got the similar error of pePc has been corrupted error 92h.  As I understand also, there is no resolution to this matter as of yet.  I was told that if you try to do a "Startup Repair" using Windows 7 recovery disks, it may work, but for me, it didn't.

I also sent my drive to a 3rd party drive recovery company, and they could not decrypt or read the drive either.  All they could do is image it.

If anyone has an update, please advise.  For now, what I have done is report to Level 2 support.

In my opinion, this is an absolutely ridiculous error/corruption/bug.  HP did admit it to me it is their fault.  Whomever's it is, it is completely unreasonable.  They have advised that if you do re-image, you will lose all your data.  Further, there is an update on their site that even if you do re-image, you should update with the new ProtectTools as this is likely to happen again otherwise.

Again, if anyone has found a resolution to this issue, please post.  Thanks.

Grad Student
icp_wolverine
Message 7 of 12 (6,315 Views)

read up on this from a mcafee forum about it.. it may help... https://community.mcafee.com/thread/23896?start=0&tstart=0
Honor Student
jdtham
Message 8 of 12 (6,313 Views)

Thanks, I've been following that thread too.  Unfortunately it seems that people have been trying to no avail.  I think with the new version 6, there isn't a solution to this as yet, and HP has unfortunately confirmed it. 

Honor Student
Hollywoodsilk08
Message 9 of 12 (5,895 Views)

Just confirmed after waiting a week from Level 2 support that if you use a 3rd-Party defrag tool, your data is toast. Don't wait a week for HP, just start restoring the box from scratch. I should've known better than to use a McAfee tool and won't use any more of HP's "security" tools other than the fingerprint reader. I was told that even the McAfee tools couldn't help me. You can only use MS built-in defrag software.

Luckily this was a test laptop to see if we would use Full Disk Encryption in the corporate environment. Not risking it now since there is no way to recover data if a 3rd-Party defrag tool is installed. If anyone runs across a master list of software you can't use on encrypted hard drives, please post it here.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 10 of 12 (5,892 Views)

Who's 3rd party defrag utility was it

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation