error on Esc key and Start up menu (1320 Views)
Top Student
HPG62
Message 1 of 4 (1,320 Views)

error on Esc key and Start up menu

When I power on, there is messge in Left lower corner states that ' Esc is pressed, go to startup menu' . Then start up menu appears. Although i press enter to start window 7, the same cycle happens. "Esc is pressed, go to startup menu" , then start up menu. 

I also find out that Esc key seems not working while testing to Exit by pressing Esc key.

Is Esc key stuck and how shoule i resolve it?

Will appreciate your quick response.

Teacher
RobAld
Message 2 of 4 (1,263 Views)

Re: error on Esc key and Start up menu

@ HPG62

Can you give an example of when you think "Esc key seems not working"?   E.g. there are lots of contexts where you should not assume that it would Exit.   Alt-F4  would be more expected for some, for example.

One test which would be completely separate from the normal W7 startup would be to boot in Command mode only.   Then you could type in the command line and expect Esc to erase your typing.   Just to be safe start your typing with either  rem  or  echo.    ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Top Student
HPG62
Message 3 of 4 (1,241 Views)

To give an example, if i enter BIOS, it shows a command like " Esc : Exist , F10 : save and exit", Esc should work for Exit. It does not work. I can exit only by pressing F10.

Another example is if I open calculator, Esc does not close the calculator.

When i power on, there is a message on Left lower corner that " Esc is pressed, go to start up menu" .  So, start up menu appears and window 7 cannot come out automatically.

Any solution for that errors? Thank you

Teacher
RobAld
Message 4 of 4 (1,235 Views)

@ HPG62

So you can use Esc to get into the Setup menu but you can't use it once you're in?   That's odd I guess.   The only possibility that I can think of then would be that you have a stuck modifier key e.g. Alt-  Ctrl- or Shift- which is ignored in one context but not another.   I thought that only happened once the OS is loaded.  E.g.  RigthCtrl- in particular gets "stuck" when it is held down for a repeat operation such as Cursor movement (accelerator for Mousekeys, for example) and then once I have recognized that that has happened I just press and release the opposite accelerator, LeftCtrl-  and the "stuck" Ctrl- attribute is removed.   As I say I can't imagine this happening in the BIOS display but who knows?  Another thing that I would try in that case is to see if the ASCII equivalent of Esc (Ctrl-]) could be used instead.   

BTW Calculator is an example of something that you close using Alt-F4.   So the only thing that I would expect Esc to do with it is reset the contents of the display to 0.   ; )

Did you try my suggestion of booting in Command only mode and using Esc to clear typing from the command line?   That might or might not  be a good test for a "stuck" accelerator key.   E.g.  Shift-Esc  seems to have the same effect as just Esc there.   And in a normal boot  Ctrl-Esc and Alt-Esc and Win-Esc all mean something else which might cause them to be ignored by a command only window or just treated as a normal Esc, since those keystrokes' normal meanings probably would not be available in that context--certainly not unless you had more than the cmd window open then at any rate.   ; )

HTH

Robert
---

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation