Question

Student
mystiquecat
Message 1 of 2 (301 Views)

google chrome stopped working

[ Edited ]

Google Chrome stopped working on me.  It shows a blank page with the typical menu bar. When I click on the tools or any settings, nothing populates. I have spent hours troubleshooting this issue on google forums. One person asked if I had tried Canary and that doesn't work either. Firefox and Explorer work fine. I have checked the compatability and clicked on/off Windows 8 by right-clicking to access Chrome properties. The windows troubleshooter designates it as an incompatible program. None of the proposed solutions work.

I have an HP Envy dv7 (C2H70UA#ABA) running windows 8.1 with media center. I can't tell you any specific software that I installed or upgraded around the time Chrome stopped working. This new laptop drops the wireless internet frequently, so I figured it was an internet problem. Now that a month has passed, I don't remember what I was doing when it stopped.  I tried to use the HP Support Tool and do a compatibility check. The compatability software won't install and when I checked it out, the system told me that it was "incompatible software". I tried entering my product number manually and was told that this product # has never been tested.

I do use an app called Start8 which makes my computer look ike the prior windows OS (with a start menu, etc). I use Tuneup Utilities 2014 and my virus protection is Avast.  I have also turned on/off Windows Firewall.

I am totally frustrated that I have to go back to my older laptop due to dropping wiresless, not recognized normal media players to play DVDs and now this Chrome problem. I would really appreciate help. I would like to use my Chromecast (which needs chrome). 

One other point: When I click on Canary, it does show the rotating circle and "loading"; With Chrome, it doesn't do anything at all.

HP Support Agent
Mrstenter
Message 2 of 2 (260 Views)

Re: google chrome stopped working

Hi Mystiquecat,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have read your thread on your HP ENVY dv7-7240us Notebook  and not being able to use Google Chrome. Here is a link to uninstalling software in Windows 8.1. Then install Google Chrome fresh. You could also do a system restore. When you use System Restore to restore your computer to a point in time before an issue began, System Restore returns your computer to the files and settings from the restore point. Your personal files and documents are not affected.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Mrs.Tenter
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation