Question

Top Student
Stevf
Message 1 of 4 (75 Views)

has anyone moved their presariov2000 amd processorto windows7

Compaq Presario v2000 amd processor   on XP Pro  What is necessary to successfully  move to windows7 ?

Drivers Bios   etc  and will there be problems?

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 4 (64 Views)

Re: has anyone moved their presariov2000 amd processorto windows7

[ Edited ]

If you want to upgrade the BIOS, it's best to run it while in XP because that's what the install file was designed for.

If you're already running the latest one, then that's probably it, as with older machines, HP stops supplying BIOS updates.

Run this W7 advisor, it will be of the most help.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

Also know you're attempting a big job and requires a bit of computer know-how to find your drivers, especially if HP doesn't list them in your support page. Sometimes Windows will find them, other times not.

I had a look around and I couldn't find any specs on your machine, so if you're running a single core processor, then I would get a new machine, W7/8/8.1 will have trouble with a single core processor _ those operating systems were designed to run on a processor with at least two cores.

It will work, but if you start multi tasking, it will freeze and become very sluggish, even more so with an overzealous anti virus program.

Top Student
Stevf
Message 3 of 4 (52 Views)

Thanks for taking a look.  on the            BIOS Hewlett-Packard f52, 1/20/2007   no way to tell if this is current

The Processor  is x86 family 15 mode36 stepping     2Authentic AMD-1994 Mhz

This right off the system info    no need of multi user or multitask

Just do not want to get into installation hell  

Any ideas  windows 7 advisor says everything will load fine     but I have been around long enough to no know better.

Hoped to hear fro others who have made this trip!

Steve 

Top Student
Stevf
Message 4 of 4 (28 Views)

Thanks that gave me the right direction to go in.

Stevef

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation