Re: hdd failure dv7 4171 (71 Views)
Top Student
bushmain
Message 1 of 4 (105 Views)

hdd failure dv7 4171

I have hard drive failure on a dv7 4171.  Do I need a proprietary solution from HP or can I change the drive and install a different copy of windows?

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 2 of 4 (87 Views)

Re: hdd failure dv7 4171

When requesting assistance, please provide the complete model name and/or product number of the HP computer in question. HP/Compaq makes thousands of models of computers. Without this information it may be difficult or impossible to assist you in resolving your issue.

The above requested information can be found on the bottom of your computer or inside the battery compartment. Please do not include your serial number. Please enter the model/product information into HP's Online Consumer Support page and/or post it here for our review.

hp label.png

You can use any drive similar to the factory installed hard drive. The preferred method is to return the computer to a factory like state using the HP Recovery Discs you created when you first setup your computer. If you didn't create these discs, you may have to order them from HP or a third party vendor.

Alternatively, if you can still read the 25-digit product key on the Microsoft COA affixed to the computer, please see How to Install Windows 7 Without the Disc for instructions on downloading Windows 7, creating the Windows installation media, and installing Windows. When using this method, you will not have the use of any HP customization or value-added software that orginally came with the computer. Additionally, Windows may not natively have drivers for all of the hardware on this computer and you may need to locate drivers on your own.

If you are unable to locate some drivers, please post the Windows Device Manager's "Hardware Ids" for the missing and/or unknown devices as shown in the example below;

device manager.png

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Top Student
bushmain
Message 3 of 4 (71 Views)

Thank you.

If i order the new recovery media from HP will it contain the complete operating system(Win7)?  Also, will I be using my former Win7 serial # to activate?  Bushmain

HP Support Agent
Lil_Lisa27
Message 4 of 4 (39 Views)

Hi bushmain,

The HP Recovery media would contain an image of Windows and your drivers as they were first installed at the factory. If it does request a CD key during the recovery. If another CD key is not provided with the media, you would use your existing CD key.

Thank you.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Lil_Lisa27
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation