help! my laptop keeps shutting down (42060 Views)
Student
wickedsoul
Message 1 of 14 (42,060 Views)

help! my laptop keeps shutting down

my laptop constantly shuts down for no apparent reason, I have only had it for 21 days.

Additionally, when I do shut it off, it never shuts off completely.

help explain?

Honor Student
MSgtMackel
Message 2 of 14 (42,026 Views)

Re: help! my laptop keeps shutting down

Have you tried to re-set your power options.  You will see options to set your computer when you push the power off button, etc.  Maybe your battery is not being fully charged and  it shuts down your computer
Honor Student
MSgtMackel
Message 3 of 14 (42,024 Views)

Maybe your laptop battery is not being fully charged.  Your PC will shut down if the charge of your battery reaches a certain level.  Does  this happen when it is pluged in?  Again your power options may be the culprit when you push the power off button.  Under power options you can set it to go to hibernation, sleep, etc.  Also periods of time can be set when your monitor shuts off, your hard drive shuts off, etc.
Student
razz
Message 4 of 14 (41,960 Views)

you need to perform a hard drive self test on this computer.. because if the computer is shutting down frequently for no reason,, it can be a problem with the hard drive as well...

all the best

Teacher
mancy_techno
Message 5 of 14 (35,660 Views)

Hi,

Overheating is considered as one of the major causes of shutdown problems in laptops.

When any laptop runs, it generates heat and if it does not cool down, it may result in random shutdowns.

Thus, to get rid of this issue with your HP laptop, you should keep it on a flat surface and allow the fans underneath to work.

The use of cooling pads for laptops is also recommended. This helps in removing the excess heat.

Get more information to fix HP Laptop keeps shutting down issue :

http://supportforhp.iyogi.com/laptop-keeps-shutting-off.html

Hope this information helps you.

Set peace of mind as your highest goal,and organize your life around it.
Teacher
pctech33
Message 6 of 14 (35,285 Views)

Hi,

Sounds like it's overheating. Try cleaing the fan and using it on a flat surface instead of your lap. 

Message 7 of 14 (35,243 Views)

Overheating! i hate my dv4 i have to use a stick fan to keep it cool or it does the same thing.

Top Student
ALEXRoads
Message 8 of 14 (32,620 Views)

Two important things that you should do to fix a laptop which keeps shutting down are:

1- Scanning computer to eliminate malwares, spywares and the viruses from your laptop.

2- Repairing and cleaning Windows registry.

These two tips are found to be very helpful to fix the laptop shutdown problem.
You can also get some help from this article http://ezinearticles.com/?Laptop-Keeps-Shutting-Down---How-to-Fix-Random-Shutdown-Problems-in-a-Lapt...

Hope it works for you.

Honor Student
jalaiya_jay
Message 9 of 14 (31,577 Views)

i am having the same problems. hp is telling me same stupid stuff all the time and nothing is working. hp laptops are crap. desktops are better. they need to make them better.

my screen goes black then all you see is blurred lights and then it shuts down a screen pops up sayiing all kinds of stuff bout reasons for shut down and then starts back up with a pop up saying unexppected shut down occured you will be notified when solution is found. <.< iv done the tests and all the updates and etc. this laptop is only a month old i shouldnt be having problems with it. <.< and the other thing is. nothing i mean nothing is supposibly compatible with it. the only other answer besides update bios n grapics, run test, and reset to factory settings. was my programs arnt compatible **bleep**.. i have reg programs on here and when i asked about the laptop they said the games i play are.

im not sorry for these comments bc hp you need to heave better customer service and better answers,

if i was you hun id go get a refund and a diff comp.

Student
JoeTW23_93
Message 10 of 14 (30,050 Views)

I am having a similar problem with my Hp laptop... it is an elitebook and it shuts down for no apparent reason. Most of the time when it shuts down, and pluged in, it isn't hot but if it is running on the battery only it gets really hot and shuts off twice as often; some shut downs due to the heat and some for no apparent reason.This is very frustrating.

At first I thought it was because the battery was done for so I purchased a replacement battery but the problem seems to only get worse as time passes. 

I have no idea what to do or what is wrong with the laptop. I am in dire need of any advise or assistance I can get with this issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation