Question

Student
XXXA1-1
Message 1 of 8 (11,721 Views)

how do i remove the "share-to-web upload folder" ?

Regents Professor
Kalt
Message 2 of 8 (11,716 Views)

Re: how do i remove the "share-to-web upload folder" ?

Step 1: The Easy Way

Go to Start -> All Programs ->  HP Share-to-Web, click on HP Share-to-Web Wizard.
Click NEXT ...until you come to the screen that asks if you want the desktop icon - choose NO and then click FINISH.

Step 2: The Hard Way

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/20865-3-share-upload-folder-uninstallable-relation

Honor Student
Malvister
Message 3 of 8 (11,038 Views)

I have tried this method and several others suggested by HP Total Care advisors to remove the persistent icon from my desktop and none has worked.  The methods suggested worked on my XP machine but not on the Vista one.  The computer freezes when I try the method suggested here and I cannot uninstall this aspect of my printer software because it is not listed separately, nor am I given the option of not having a desktop icon when installing the software.  I also tried the Regedit solution suggested on http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-20865_29_0.html and ended up having to reinstall everything on my computer.   

Has anyone a solution which will work with a Vista system?

Master's Graduate
melanchete
Message 4 of 8 (11,032 Views)

Windows Vista: Print all this information first

To begin, remove HP Share-toWeb from the Start Up list so the program will not automatically install again. (Remember to click Continue for each step when it shows up.)

• == Go to the Start Search just above the Start button (Windows icon on bottom left). ==
  • == Type in msconfig; System Configuration opens ==
  • == Go to Startup ==
  • == Look for a file from Hewlard Packard; it has a label HP hpqs2nd and uncheck the box to the left of it ==
  • == Close this program ==
  • == Restart your computer (Do not go on the Internet) ==

Next, in Windows Vista I uninstalled it from my Programs and Features with no problem.

• == Go to Control Panel (Listed when you click the Start button on right) ==
  • == Click on Programs and Features ==
  • == Click on HP Share-toWeb then click on Uninstall at the top of the program list ==

Restart your computer and all should work perfectly.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In some cases the solution above doesn't work: explorer.exe stops responding, when you clicks on the Share-to-Web icon.

In that case restart Windows (or only explorer.exe), create a batch file, with the following content:

REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.s2wdh" /F
REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{9E8BF6A5-1979-4D6C-A20D-40557856E78C}" /F
REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{A4DF5659-0801-4A60-9607-1C48695EFDA9}" /F
REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\s2wdh.SendToShlExt" /F
REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\s2wdh.SendToShlExt.1" /F
REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{8F5E5E7C-43FA-4BAC-9358-04E34CB46545}" /F
REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{A4DF5659-0801-4A60-9607-1C48695EFDA9}" /F
REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved\{A4DF5659-0801-4A60-9607-1C48695EFDA9}" /F
REG DELETE HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v "Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon" /F

Pay attention to the linebreaks shown herein: in the file every line starts with REG DELETE and ends with /F. There are no linebreaks between them!

After running the batch file, restart the computer.

Pavilion DV7-1285dx Notebook, Windows 7 64bit, Intel X2 P8600 2.40GHz, Nvidia GeForce 9600M, 6GB RAM, 2x 500GB HD(s)
Honor Student
Malvister
Message 5 of 8 (11,021 Views)

Thank you Melanchete for your prompt reply.

Your first suggestion – I already have HP Share-to-Web unchecked in my start-up list.

Your second suggestion – I cannot uninstall HP Share-to-Web from because it is not listed separately in my list of programs.  I notice that many others have said this on the web when I have been searching for a solution.

Your third suggestion – I am afraid this procedure is beyond my computer capabilities.

Thank you for trying to help me.  It looks as though I will have to put up with this annoying icon – the only one on my desktop.

Honor Student
luc9
Message 6 of 8 (10,235 Views)

I have Vista OS and had problems as well , trying some of the remedies listed, but I did get rid of it.  My share to web folder and icon came with my HP scanner. I uninstalled the scanner software and the icon disappeared from my desktop. I then rebooted my computer. Vista then found new hardware ( scanner ) searched and found the driver for it, then said I needed software to run it. Vista got the software from HP and amazingly the icon did not return.  Hopes this help you
Student
Eddie2105
Message 7 of 8 (5,640 Views)

Hey Kalt. I just want to say you are a DUDE!!!! Man I have had this thing on the desktop for far too long and every time I right click it the computer just hangs. This icon must rate as one of the all-time most irritating ones I have come across.

Thank you so much for your simple and easy guide to removing it. Keep up th eexcellent advise!

Regards  Eddie

Student
juan0069
Message 8 of 8 (5,180 Views)

Why do ppl keep buying HP?  It boggles the mind...  I feel my mind boggling as I type this...  NNNOOOOOOOO....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation