Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Enter Administrator Password or Power On Password"  

Changes made to system that caused issue to occur: 
Laptop was stolen from car two weeks before Christmas, but was recovered by police and returned to me a month later.  Upon retrieval of laptop, the battery was dead and the power pack/cord & mouse wasn't returned with the laptop.  I had a dell power pack/cord that fit and used to turn on the computer.   A black screen appeared with a blue box asking to "Enter Administrator Password or Power On Password."   After 4-5 attempts to enter the password that was set for windows, the system disabled itself.   I would have to remove the battery and plug in power cord to reset the computer which continues to ask to "Enter Administrator Password or Power On Password."   I do not want to restore or reset the computer by losing all my personal data that was stored prior to it being stolen.   Is there anyway to override this or is there a "generic password" to use as a bypass this screen to get it to operate and back to the Windows login screen?   I REALLY NEED HELP ON THIS!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Computer try.

REO

I must inform you that these services are not endorsed by HP, and that HP is not responsible for any damage that may arise to your system by using these services. Please be aware that you do this at your own risk.

View solution in original post

198 REPLIES 198
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you post back with the following details.

1.  The full Model No. and Product No. of your notebook - see Here for a guide on locating this information.

2.  Do you receive a 'halt code' after 3 incorrect entries?  If you do, post back with this code.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
I cannot find my model number, but as soon as keep on pressing enter, a message comes up saying system disable
HP Recommended
With an 8 digit number
HP Recommended

Hi,

Post back with the 8 digit number.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Hi I am having the same problem..Hp dv7. System disabled code is 59822164
HP Recommended

Hi Danny,

Try entering:    46780160

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

hi,

i am having the same problem

1) model: dv7t-7000

product: a5f92av

2) 64111622

please help!!!

HP Recommended

@dimlit 

Try entering:       71879204

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue except a little different scenario.  My case started when charter came to connect the internet for my son.  His computer is now asking for an administrators password or power on password.  The model of laptop is an HP Pavilion DV7 1245 dx.  Can you help me with how to get pass this screen?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.