02-21-2010 05:20 PM
I seem to have aquired a virus on my hp 550 running vista home premium the other day, it infected everything including my anti virus (AVG) I had a look and the laptop didnt seem to come with a recovery disc.
I managaed to find one that came with my Dell PC so tried installing that, from what I remember doing installs before, you can go into the bios menu and delete the operating system that was on it before. There doesnt seem to be an option to get into bios though.
When I installled the new version, it said something about keeping the other copy on there. It went thought the steps to reinstall, when it finished the last stage called 'completing' I just got a black screen so switched off manually.
When I restarted, windows wouldnt start up at all.
Now Ive got no idea what to do and am sitting on a laptop that I cant get to work.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
02-21-2010 06:32 PM - edited 02-21-2010 06:36 PM
The only solution here is to order some proper recovery discs from HP for your specific model. This will also format the hard drive and wipe out the virus if it's still there.
Next time this happens, go back to a restore point on your machine before the virus. This is a common solution if you were to have taken it to a repair shop.
- Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 8)
- Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 7)
- Troubleshooting HP System Recovery Problems (Windows 8)
- Read this before ordering your Recovery Discs! (US and Canada Only)
- Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 8)
- Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 7)