Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Thank you for letting us know. I'm glad you found a solution for your laptop model. It seems that our solution worked for you and a few others on here. Again, all I said previously was that that was not a solution for those people with my laptop model. In any case, I believe most of us have had the issue resolved one way or another, either complete laptop replacements, refunds, or using a solution such as yours.

No one should have to spend so much time and effort dealing with this problem in the first place. I hope no one else has to.

Thanks again!
HP Recommended

NP. Like stated previously, i just want to help others. this laptop is awesome with great specs for a great price. it is VERY unfortunate that HP could not have found this themselves. it is very sad that owners have to spend any amount of money for something that does not function and perform in the way that it was advertised. BUT, in the end, there should always be a happy ending. a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

At least that is something we can agree upon.

HP Recommended

I've never said "nay" to you. All I said was that you have to give it some time

before declaring victory. And I'd say it has been long enough to do so.

There are still others like the Windows 10 guy just above your last comment.

That sort of makes me wonder too. Maybe there are multiple issues.

HP Recommended

Hey, I was just on the phone with HP support about this Control Zone glitchiness. I experienced the problem a month or so after installing Windows 10. They say that its a windows 10 issue and not their hardware. My computer is just over a year old and had no problems with until I installed Windows 10. Do you think your solution of loosening the touchpad screws would work for my touchpad issue? I'm pretty intimdated by dismantaling my comp. Also they offered to fix it for me...all I had to do was PAY $100 to those scoundrals and they would only gaurentee the fix for 14  days.

HP Recommended

I recently purchased the HP Envy with touch screen and control zone track pad.  This is absolutely the worst laptop I have ever used.  The track pad is extremely glitchy and the mouse pointer constantly randomly jumps across the screen.  Extremely frustrated that I wasted my money on this laptop.  I am going to make a warranty claim but I'm sure that will be a long drawn out process.  I strongly suggest you look for other options if you are in the market for a laptop.

HP Recommended

Same issues here. My cursor ends up moving up and down spastically when I am not even using it. It's gotten so bad I had to take out the ribbon cable connecting the trackpad to the motherboard and stash it in some space beneath the optical drive--I couldn't even use an external mouse due to the trackpad's random interference.

HP Recommended

This issue has been here long before Windows 10.   Don't believe them for a second that it is a Windows 10 problem!

I have had mine for 2 1/2 years and have suffered through using the touchpad.  I am not comfortable taking my computer apart and fixing it, as I'm not a tech person.  I just teach computer applications classes and use my computer daily.  I can't wait for the day when I can justify buying a new laptop and it will NOT be an HP, I can assure you of that!

My best work-around solution is to use my touch screen when my mouse starts acting up and sometimes that will calm it down.  If not, I restart it and I've been able to complete my work.  I have had countless hours of total frustration and curse my laptop regularly!

HP Recommended

This issue has been ongoing for years, literally.  I'm appalled at the terrible customer service and comeplete disregard of customer experience from HP, regarding this issue.

I was actually told by a product manager that they don't actually read these forums.  Remember, a manager told me that!  I've worked in companies before on tech-trending teams where we would collect any information related to customer technical issues so that we would be able to analytically recognize problematic trends for the purpose of providing real solutions.

HP has been incompetent in relation to this issue.  At least they sent me a free mouse after spending 40 minutes on the phone with them.  I feel sorry for those of you who haven't been able to get to a resolution. 

Even if you're not tech savvy, I would recommend attempting to lossing the screws on the trackpad assembly.  However, if you're still under warranty and can return your laptop, I would do so.  Replacing the trackpad isn't sufficient in many cases to fix this issue (as has been discussed on this thread).  Also, taking apart your laptop may void your warranty, so be careful.

*PS: This general issue has nothing to do with Windows 10 and for a representative to make that claim is almost embarrasing.  While there are software conflicts, it's quite clear that this issue was present well before Windows 10.

HP Recommended

I have had this issue since I bought the laptop.  It came win8 originally.  It bugged me for a long time and I was hoping some driver fix, corrects the problem.  I called HP a couple of months after I bought it and the remote support person removed and reinstalled the touchpad dirver.  Problem seemed to go away for a while, so I ignored it a few more months.

After win10 upgrade, I was hoping things would just work better.  It did not.  Before my warranty was expiring at month 11, I called support again and insisted that they do something for I cannot stand this behavior anymore.  They did remove/reinstall the driver, no change.  They forced computer into the HP boot boot utility and asked me to check if teh touchpad is still misbehaving and it did.  They finally agreed that it is a hardware issue.

I sent the laptop back and they changed the motherboard completely and I guess new touchpad and also fixed the broken hinge.  Since then I have not had any issues.  I extended the warranty for another year in case.

If you still have problem and have warranty, insist that they fix it.  It is a hardware problem or they would have updated the driver that is quite old.

-- Amal

HP Recommended

FYI I have sent my laptop to HP and then sent it back - it worked for about 2 days and then Mr. jumpy.laggy/highlightly/right-click-when-i-mean-left-click started to show up again. I can't believe there's no solution to this yet... I still have another 30pp of forum to read. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.