Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

The problem I am having is the cursor starts jumping erratically around the screen and you can't get the mouse to control it.  When trying to click on to select something, the left and right zones keep popping open and I'm not able to select. 

HP Recommended

It's not the side bars that control the charms or open apps, it's the big middle part that controls the actual pointer that gets screwed up (section 2). And it happens EVERYWHERE! 

HP Recommended

I forgot to add that I am using Windows 8.1 and Internet Explorer and Firefox browsers.  The mouse problem happens in all areas. 

HP Recommended

@BHK6 (HP Support Agent)

To make this clear, and if you can read through the various / countless posts in this forum, it should be pretty clear.

THE ENTIRE TOUCHPAD DOES NOT FUNCTION PROPERLY, IT IS PRACTICALLY UNUSABLE.

There is NO problems specific to the "Control Zones" of the touchpad.

When usuing the touchpad, the mouse curser will jump erratically to different locations on the screen. (Sure the touchpad may follow your finger like normal for a few minutes here and there As it should) But Its not usable, because it will randomly jump around the screen. Then, almost without fail after a few hours of use, the cursur will become 100% unsuable, the touchpad will no longer function and the cursur will move back and forth frantically all around the screen, everywhere.

It does not matter where you are touching on the touchpad, it doesnt matter if the "control zones" are turned off, it doesnt matter if ever single feature of the driver is turned on or off, it does matter if sensitivity is at MAX or if it sensitivity is at MIN, it doesnt matter is "Palm block" is at MAX or MIN. It doesnt matter if the HP reccomended Driver is installed, or uninstalled, it doesnt matter if the prior version of the driver is uninstalled or installed. It doesnt matter if the HDD is formatted back to the Original New in box state. IT doesnt matter if Every windows update is currently installed or not.

Synaptics generic driver availible from their website also does not work for this touchpad hardware. The only drivers availible are from HP and they do not work. I have tried "3 driver states" to troubleshoot:

No driver - very very poor touchpad control/erratic behavior/ very unstable, unsable states.

Original HP controlzone synaptics driver - very poor touchpad control, very unstable, very erratic behavior, can be completely unusable

Latest HP controlzone synaptics driver - Stable for only a few minutes at a time, then extreme erratic behavior, and completely unusable states.

The hp envy m6-1205dx has a unsable broken touchpad brand new out of the box.

The problem is 1 of 2 things;

1) The Driver itself is bad, it needs to be recoded- rebuilt, a new driver needs to be made to make the touchpad smooth and usable with this laptop.

2)The touchpad hardware is bad on each and every laptop of this model. (This can be fixed with either a Driver that can better communicate / handle the hardware, or different touchpad hardware)

So HP Support, what else can we do? There is nothing else we can do, no amount of specific troubleshooting information we could give you that would help you come up with any sort of work-around. This NEEDS a new driver. It is not at all hard to replicate, go grab any laptop and use it for the day, i garuntee you will replicate the issue at hand. 

If for some incredibly odd reason they "cant" replicate it, uninstall all drivers,  the weird erratic behavior that ensues without any drivers installed is the same behavior that occurs even with the latest driver installed.

Please, Please report this, and dont just report it. Make sure someone sits down and produces a driver that allows our brand new $700 -$1000+ laptop to function. 

We dont even want any special functions or features, just a solid, functioning, 100% usable touchpad on a laptop.

HP Recommended

Bhk6,

You're kidding, right?  You have dozens of people all saying they've tried all the solutions, and you send us to a generic "here's how to use the control zones in windows 8" page and then put "If I solved your problem, vote me up!!!!" in big letters?  You must be doing some sort of stand-up comedian's send-up of bad HP support, right?

Carlos, thanks for the post to the control zone video at YouTube.  I just vote it down over there to start spreading the word beyond this HP-controlled forum.

I can't believe HP hasn't even tried to address this.  Well, except for bhk6's humorous non-attempt.

HP Recommended

I had posted before - same problem as most of you - HP Envy bought this summer at Best Buy.  Touchpad wildly erratic, though somewhat intermittently (almost always bad, but sometimes much worse to the point of almost unuseable.)

I got an email from HP asking me to call support.  For several days, I didn't bother because I thought if there was an answer, it would have been posted in this forum.  But I decided to call today.

HP phone support just did two things.  One is he had me remove battery and power supply and then press the power button to drain all power.  This was intended to get rid of any static charges that may be built up and affecting the touchpad.  The other was to check and ultimately change drivers - he said that the driver installed was a higher driver than what is intended, and that this might have been mis-installed at the factory.  For the moment, the touchpad is working much more smoothly.   Some of you (and I) have experienced temporary improvement that went away.  If it's a static issue, the problem may return as more static builds up, and then, they would pay to ship the laptop back for repair (perhaps static-guarding the touchpad connections ... I didn't ask).  This would take 10-15 business days. 

For the moment, I'm hoping it's a driver issue and that uninstalling and then installing the proper driver will fix everything.

HP Recommended

I (and probably others) would really appreicate being kept up to date on how this works for you over the next few days. Thanks man! 

HP Recommended

The improvement you see from driver downgrade is temporary and wont last. I have tried them all, with same result.

if Static charge is built up, again, i dont see this ever truely getting fixed, why should we send in our brand new laptop to get a refurbished one in return. I doubt they fix and send you back the exact hardware you sent in.

HP Recommended

so one of the hp support agents asked me for my product number and operating system about 2-3 pages back. i gave it but still no word from anybody. plus at the top of the HP website, it currently says "HP Expert Day is TODAY!" . so i expect to have an expert read all these comments and get this problem solved

HP Recommended

I'm already back to as bad as it has been.  So the driver downgrade isn't the issue.  It must be static.

For me, sending the laptop in  for 2-3 weeks will work, in late October.  I use it for a seasonal business, and we can get by till then.  After October, I won't really need the laptop till April.  But what a fiasco!  They should contract with Best Buy to provide the fix on a 1-2 day basis

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.