Question

Intern
goodintentions
Message 1 of 36 (1,026 Views)

hp envy x2 windows 8.1 preview sleep of death

I just upgraded via the windows store to windows 8.1 preview.  Love the new OS.  But half the time I put the tablet to sleep, it won't come back on.  When I try to get it back on, I can see the screen lighting up, but no picture.  I have to press and hold the power button to force turn off and then press the power to turn on again.

I'm guessing this is a bug in either the kernel or the bios.  Any idea when this bug will be fixed?  In the mean time, what can I do to avoid this sleep of death?

j_o Tutor
Tutor
j_o
Message 2 of 36 (767 Views)

Re: hp envy x2 windows 8.1 preview sleep of death

[ Edited ]

I'm having the same problem with the final release of windows 8.1!

Screen is either blank or garbled when waking from sleep. Seems like it happens only if it's been asleep for more than a few minutes.

Re-installing the chipset/audio/graphics driver package had no effect. Prior to the 8.1 update, I did a fresh install of a non-envy-x2-specific copy of win 8, but it was working fine.

Tutor
evonevo
Message 3 of 36 (745 Views)

Exact the same thing here with my Envy x2.  I'm suffering the same issue as described.

HP - any help from your site ?

Regards

E

j_o Tutor
Tutor
j_o
Message 4 of 36 (709 Views)

This appears to be a problem related to the graphics driver. Once after waking, the screen blinked, and i got a notification saying the graphics driver had been restarted; and a couple of times, the screen resolution decided to switch to 1024x768.

HP, a little help?

Tutor
evonevo
Message 5 of 36 (698 Views)

Yeach it might be the case BUT I can also see some relation to keyboard.

So when I want  to bring my Envy back on from sleep so I press power button then just screen lighting up (it's still almost black but just lights up little bit) and than I immediately undock it or unpin it from keyboard the screen displays log in screen as it should when I hit Power button to wake up Envy.

Do you guys have the same ?

Regards

E

Top Student
Tearstone
Message 6 of 36 (680 Views)

[ Edited ]

I ran into the same issue. According to another user who posts on this forum, they stated to reinstall the graphics driver through the device manager to fix the issue. I've already rolled back to Windows 8 myself and waiting to see some confirmation that this is indeed the fix for the Intel Graphics driver issue.

Link: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/Envy-x2-Cant-install-windows-8-...

j_o Tutor
Tutor
j_o
Message 7 of 36 (641 Views)

Tearstone's suggestion seems to have worked for me, but it still hiccups during wake-up.

I uninstalled the graphics driver through Device Manager (opting to not delete the files), then restarted so that windows would re-install the driver automatically.

Now when I wake it from sleep, the screen lights up with a black screen, then turns off, then comes back on and shows the lock screen; this happens within a few seconds. Sometimes graphical elements in apps are missing or garbled, but that goes away when I start moving things around.

All-in-all better than a blank screen, but the graphics driver needs some work.

j_o Tutor
Tutor
j_o
Message 8 of 36 (625 Views)

[ Edited ]

I spoke too soon; it's still the same.  It can be hit-or-miss. Anybody else still having this problem?

Retired
Lil_Lisa27
Message 9 of 36 (607 Views)

Hi,

To be able to assist further with the ENVY x2, and not waking from sleep properly. I would need to know the full model number. I have included the document 'Guide to finding your product number'.

Thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
j_o Tutor
Tutor
j_o
Message 10 of 36 (593 Views)

My model number is:

HP ENVY x2 11-g010nr

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation