Question

Honor Student
user21
Message 1 of 6 (1,029 Views)

hp mini 2102 wont boot to windows xp

My laptop restarted itself after a windows update but didn't reboot correctly now when I go to boot my PC it has the normal blinking line ( the one you see in the top left right when you turn it on) then flashes the HP logo for less then a second and goes back to the blinking line which just blinks a little faster but wont go past that point I have tried booting in slax ( a portable version of Linux perfect for trouble shooting) however it wont connect to the internet so I can't scan for possible viruses please help I am in college and have an essay due on Thursday this week.

Thank you
Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 6 (1,011 Views)

Re: hp mini 2102 wont boot to windows xp

Use F8, see if safe mode loads, if it does do a Windows System Restore, pick a date before the updates were installed. Reboot see if Windows loads normally, then move to the next step.

If you get it booting then scan for malware, go to this page and download the System Sweeper program, make a CD or bootable flash drive, boot from it and scan the system and remove what it finds.

Once back into Windows, do a windows update manually using Internet Explorer, choose "custom", then install only one update and reboot for each update whether it asks to or not, then repeat this one at a time until all updates are installed.

If you get a blinking cursor again, you know which update caused it, do another System Restore to recover and ignore/hide that update until you can figure out whay it hammers the system.

Make notes of the KB number of the updates as yuou install them, so you know which one is the culprit.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 3 of 6 (1,010 Views)

Honor Student
user21
Message 4 of 6 (1,000 Views)

I have two problems one it doesn't do anything when I press F8 and system recovery goes back to the blinking line is there anything else I can do?
Student
Karl1963
Message 5 of 6 (938 Views)

We are having a similar issue with our HP Mini 110 it locked up the other night and then rebooted and now we just get the flashing bar after getting the HP splash screen.  The only function keys that work are F9 and F10, how do we get this to boot back up again?

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 6 of 6 (933 Views)

If both posters (Karl1963 & User21)are running WinXP, the problem may be fixed by doing this:

Easiest fix for black screen with flashing with cursor = boot off a Windows XP CD
R for repair on the first screen
At the command prompt type fixboot and hit ENTER ("Y" to agree to perform command)
Then type fixmbr and hit ENTER ("Y" to agree to perform command)
Type EXIT
Reboot
It is fixed.

Found on this thread: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/159277-xp-wont-boot-blinking-cursor-with-blank-screen/

Read thru the thread.  If none of the suggestions work, try the Ultimate BootCD as mention in the thread also(post #80).  Try the suggestion for that disk.  Ultimate BootCD found here: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Otherwise a WinXP disk is needed to run the fixes.  Now before you get all hyper, I know you probably do not have a WinXP disk with the computer.  Look around for a friend that may have a disk, it just has to be a WinXP home version or WinXP Pro, whichever you have.  An external DVD/CD drive is needed or a USB flash drive that has the WinXP (bootable) on it.  F9 or F10 to change the boot device to the CD/DVD drive or USB ( whichever is being used)

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation