Question
Student
Message 1 of 2 (117 Views)

hp pavilion dv2000

Hello, my name is Hannah.

Recently, my father bought me a used laptop from a pawn shop family friend.

when i got the laptop, all these windows kept popping up about cleaning it up. virus scans and all this. I've no idea how to work a computer. I don't know if i am to run these cleaning scans beacuse they try to charge me for them. "RegClean Pro" is what it is and it says 129 registry errors found. if i click on fix issues, it ask for a credit card. that may be a scam but the others i do not know. and also, the battery does not and refuses to hold charge. to keep the laptop on, i have to have the chrger in 24/7. i got the thing to help with college and i've no idea what to do or how to fix it. i do not have the money to take it to a shop and get it fixed. i'm also afraid of doing or clicking anything and breaking it or crashing it or something like that. i'm highly frustrated please help! 

Provost
Message 2 of 2 (101 Views)

Re: hp pavilion dv2000

The previous owner evidently picked up a lot of malware on the laptop. Do not pay for any of those scams!

A System Recovery will wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00809678&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&la...

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation