hp pavillion dv4 will not start. it goes to light up but then just shuts off (3413 Views)
Honor Student
thefnman420
Message 1 of 9 (3,413 Views)
Accepted Solution

hp pavillion dv4 will not start. it goes to light up but then just shuts off

i go  to start it up and it lights up for a second then shuts off

im thinking hard drive may be fried any other suggestions???

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 9 (3,374 Views)

Re: hp pavillion dv4 will not start. it goes to light up but then just shuts off

Hi,

Is your notebook still under warranty?

Try the following.

With the notebook shut down, remove the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold down the power button for a full minute.  Now plug in the AC Adapter ( leave the battery out ) and see if the notebook will start.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
thefnman420
Message 3 of 9 (3,370 Views)

Re: hp pavillion dv4 will not start. it goes to light up but then just shuts off

no i dont, and that didnt work

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 9 (3,369 Views)

Hi,

If you have Two memory modules installed, shutdown the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and remove the battery.  Hold down the power button for 10 seconds to dispel any residual charge from the Motherboard and then remove one of the memory modules.  Re-assemble the notebook and see if it will boot.  If it doesn't,repeat the above procedure but with the same module in the other slot.  If it still won't boot, repeat this process with the other module to see if any combination will allow the notebook to boot.

Regards,

DP-K

Honor Student
thefnman420
Message 5 of 9 (3,366 Views)

nope it just lights up for a brief second and shuts off

Provost
DavidPK
Message 6 of 9 (3,362 Views)

Hi,

You could try removing the HDD and see if the notebook will stay on with this removed.  If it doesn't, the only thing I can think to suggest is taking it to a local computer repair shop to have the problem identified and an estimate for the repair cost.

Regards,

DP-K

Honor Student
thefnman420
Message 7 of 9 (3,355 Views)

yeah im gonna try that thank you so much for takin the time to try and help me ill let you know the outcome

Provost
DavidPK
Message 8 of 9 (3,347 Views)

Hi,

You're welcome and look forward to hearing back from you.

All the best,

DP-K

zb Student
Student
zb
Message 9 of 9 (2,803 Views)

I have been having this problem since April 2011.

Geek Squad has had my motherboard replaced 4 times, they have replaced my CPU (4x) and my LCD once.  It had once again "crashed" and will now not start up.   I've already put a couple hundred dollars into it and do not want to put in more.  I am not losing any personal items like documents or pictures when this happens.  HP is not being helpful at the moment and just wants me to give them more money before they do anything about the computer.  Are you still having issues with getting your computer to work??  What all measures have you taken or been told??  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation