Question

Honor Student
rayhan
Message 1 of 16 (38,611 Views)

my laptop's windows product key has been rubbed off and faded away so where can i get it?

due to usage my product key of windows 7 has been faded of so where can i get it back.... is there any command through which i can get to know my product key??

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 2 of 16 (38,589 Views)

Re: my laptop's windows product key has been rubbed off and faded away so where can i get it?

You can use a 3rd party utility like ProduKey to find product key of your OS

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 3 of 16 (38,584 Views)

Re: my laptop's windows product key has been rubbed off and faded away so where can i get it?

Magic Jelly Bean can tell you also: http://majorgeeks.com/Magical_Jelly_Bean_Keyfinder_d2612.html

This is a well known application.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 4 of 16 (38,577 Views)

Yes even Magic jelly bean can also be used. I almost forgot about that one :smileyhappy:

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Honor Student
Galenor
Message 5 of 16 (38,563 Views)

Dowloaded the produkey software, according to AVG there is  is a know virus somewhere on the package,  hacktool.dbi.

The 2nd program mentioned does not work for windows 7 unless you pay for it.

I tried a 3rd programm i found by google search, adware detected a trojan on it....

Is there any way to get the key back from HP/Windows?

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 6 of 16 (38,560 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well, I assume the AVG software is keying on the resource tool that is used for retrieving the key and calling it malware.  Any software that can find the key is probably going to cause a reaction similar.

BTW: The Windows 7 key for OEM OS normally is not needed as the "Recovery DVD's" do not ask for a key.  And typically the key on the sticker does not match the one used to install the OS, anyways.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 7 of 16 (38,553 Views)

The COA key on thw sticker is different than the one installed by HP, just so you know.

The one installed by HP is a Volume License Key, the one on the sticker is a Single user license key.

Student
Frankiejrr
Message 8 of 16 (32,780 Views)

Same thing has happened to me, apart from my hard drive broke so i just bought a new one and replaced it. Obvoisly this means using my system recovery disks, I was just wondering if the windows serial key will just load from the disks? because I cant see my serial key as its faded.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 9 of 16 (32,528 Views)

Yes, HP restore discs will intall the key and will be pre-activated.

Student
Sandeep_kale
Message 10 of 16 (30,874 Views)

I have lost the sticker from back of my notebook which have windows key after that my harddisk alsao crashed. Now i am not having windows key. Please help me out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation