Question

cv Student
Student
cv
Message 1 of 5 (8,160 Views)

my laptop wont start up... cant even start in safe mode the f8 nor f10 menus wont offer safe mode

after installing microsoft updates on my laptop it turned off inorder to restart but now it will not restart... it gives itself a solve the problem scan and says it cant find anything wrong.... I called Microsoft and HP and both of them want to charge me to fix a problem that was not there until I uploaded updates.... this stinks... I have all my college documents stuck inside my laptop and need to access them.... anyone have any suggestions....
PhD Student
Bookworm
Message 2 of 5 (8,153 Views)

Re: my laptop wont start up... cant even start in safe mode the f8 nor f10 menus wont offer safe mod

Okay it helps us if we know what you have so look on the bottom of your notebook and give us the Product number and the model number please.

Also what Operating system do you have?

Do you get an error, if so what is it?

You can try a couple of things, if you start up your Notebook and tap F10 does it let you in the BIOS?

If so what is your BIOS version?

Depending on what Notebook you have you can look for the diagnostic tab in there and run whatever tests are listed.(memory, Hard-drive)

You can take out the hard-drive from your notebook and either put it in an enclosure or buy a cable that basically does the same thing, then you can attach the drive to another computer and see if you can access your files.

You can talk the HP Chat support for free, here is the link

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-006&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_product=321957&h_client=S-A-...

Good luck, I'll look to see if you give any answers to what I suggested and asked from you.

cv wrote:
after installing microsoft updates on my laptop it turned off inorder to restart but now it will not restart... it gives itself a solve the problem scan and says it cant find anything wrong.... I called Microsoft and HP and both of them want to charge me to fix a problem that was not there until I uploaded updates.... this stinks... I have all my college documents stuck inside my laptop and need to access them.... anyone have any suggestions....

I am an HP employee
Knowledge is power...Power to the people
Student
eltrym
Message 3 of 5 (8,135 Views)

Re: my laptop wont start up... cant even start in safe mode the f8 nor f10 menus wont offer safe mod

[ Edited ]

Hi! I almost have the same problem ..

I was updating something from HP care. I think it was the bios. But then it hanged and the keyboard wouldnt function so i tried to shut it down. It hanged again on logging off so i tried to turn it off holding the power buttons. it won't turn off so i unplugged the ac then removed the battery. When i tried to turn it back on with the battery and plugged into ac, the laptop turns on but the screen is blank. I thought of system recovering but the Fkeys are not working either. The drive light is blinking once every 2 seconds. I think the bios is messed up. :smileysad:

i have g60-121wm

p/n:FT468UA#ABA

vista home premium 32

Message Edited by eltrym on 07-22-2009 09:15 PM
PhD Student
Bookworm
Message 4 of 5 (8,113 Views)

Hi eltrym, you really need to contact support at this point, here is a link to all the support options

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact_us.html

eltrym wrote:

Hi! I almost have the same problem ..

I was updating something from HP care. I think it was the bios. But then it hanged and the keyboard wouldnt function so i tried to shut it down. It hanged again on logging off so i tried to turn it off holding the power buttons. it won't turn off so i unplugged the ac then removed the battery. When i tried to turn it back on with the battery and plugged into ac, the laptop turns on but the screen is blank. I thought of system recovering but the Fkeys are not working either. The drive light is blinking once every 2 seconds. I think the bios is messed up. :smileysad:

i have g60-121wm

p/n:FT468UA#ABA

vista home premium 32

Message Edited by eltrym on 07-22-2009 09:15 PM

I am an HP employee
Knowledge is power...Power to the people
Honor Student
reinasanta
Message 5 of 5 (5,809 Views)

My Laptop wont start either!!! I have a power supply and have tried resetting. Its a HP Pavillion 2718us sn#2ce8032wm1 pm kc463ua#aba I had no virus issues.... checked email and bank in morning and shut off...now it will not turn back on! Please help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation