my "computer cannot communicate with the printer" (10956 Views)
Top Student
auscfan
Message 1 of 8 (10,956 Views)
Accepted Solution

my "computer cannot communicate with the printer"

All of a sudden my computer stopped communicating with my printer, neither wireless or wired.

Intern
RalphIII
Message 2 of 8 (10,926 Views)

Re: my "computer cannot communicate with the printer"

1) Go into Start>Devices/Printers and check the status of your printer.

2) Did you try turning off/on your printer and/or rebooting your computer?  That will typically solve most hickups.

3) Lastly, did you update something because that could have corrupted some drivers?  You may want to check for any updates and/or re-install your software if the above doesn't work.

Good luck. 

Top Student
auscfan
Message 3 of 8 (10,911 Views)

Thanks very, very much. Step 2 did the trick,works perfectly now!
thg Student
Student
thg
Message 4 of 8 (10,278 Views)

My printer and computer all of a sudden stopped communicating.  HP printer and scan doctor tells me there is nothing wrong, but no test page will print nor will it  print from any other program.    I have a HP Officejet Pro 8500a and have been hooked up by usb port.  I have switched usb ports, changed out cables and uninstalled and reinstalled programs from HP's official site. The printer will still fax, scan and copy but will not talk to the computer.

A friend told me to trash this printer and get another one.  I cannot afford that.  My husband has just had hernia surgery and will be out of work for at least 8 weeks. We have saved all we can to prepare for this and simply cannot afford another printer now.  I have to print reports from his and my job at home quite often. 

Give me suggestions please.  I am about to try replacing the usb port in the printer.  I hope someone will tell me how to correct this issue before I try something I have never done before.  What can I hurt if I tear the printer apart and do not fix it?  It will not work now!

Intern
RalphIII
Message 5 of 8 (10,222 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Sorry to hear you are having problems and hopefully you have it solved by now!

If not try troubleshooting a few different ways.  I'm assuming you've done some of the following so ignore the obvious.

1)  Turn the printer and/or computer off, then back on; otherwise....

2)  Make sure you are printing to the correct printer!  Sometimes the computer will default to another printer or fax service and not the actual printer.  So check that when you print or go into your "Devices" to set it as the default; otherwise...

3)  Try Windows updates or updates for your specific printer.  Othewise, you may want to consider restoring your computer to a time when everything was functioning properly; otherwise...

4)  Disconnect the printer and uninstall the software.  I would recommend then running a registry utility to be sure there are no remnants of the software, such as "Free Windows Registry Repair" and/or "CCleaner".  You can get both of those at CNET.com.  Reboot again and then reinstall the software.  DO NOT hook up the printer until prompted to do so; otherwise...

5)  If the above steps do not work, then repeat step 4 several times.  Sometimes it is hard to remove old installation files and can cause re-install issues;  otherwise...

6)  It may well be time to look for another printer.  I'd try it on someone else's computer first though before trading in or trashing...

Good luck 

Honor Student
NRaiano
Message 6 of 8 (9,197 Views)

Make sure it's set as the default printer.

Intern
thomasr1950
Message 7 of 8 (5,239 Views)

I have the same issue with my E6520 Printer. All of the sudden it say cannot communicate with printer. I unplugged the power cord, rebooted pc, uninstalled/reinstalled software via usb cable. Still won't connect. I do have the printer set as the default printer both control panel & under where it shows the printer in another location. HP hasn't given me any suggestions on how to fix the issue.

Teacher
Chrizzy2013
Message 8 of 8 (5,215 Views)

Hello thomasr1950,

What is the operating system you are trying to connect with? Where do you see this error on the computer or the printer?

Chrizzy
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the KUDOS STAR on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation