my system is having startup problems. how do i repair it? (255 Views)
Top Student
berta62
Message 1 of 5 (255 Views)

my system is having startup problems. how do i repair it?

My product name is:  hp 2000-365dx notebook pc.   the operating system is Windows 7.  The only new hardware installed was a wireless mouse.  I do not have a printer, modem or router.  My startup problems just started a week ago.  When I turn on my computer it displays an error message about there is errors in my startup.  The system attempts to fix it but never gets completed.  After about 15-20 minutes of watching the system attempting to repair the problem, I turn my computer off and turn it on again and it starts.  This morning I had to do it a couple of times before it would start.  What is the problem?  How do we fix it.  My computer is only 8 months old. 

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 5 (241 Views)

Re: my system is having startup problems. how do i repair it?

Hi,

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
berta62
Message 3 of 5 (232 Views)

I was told to shut down the notebook. tap away at f10 as I start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run test on both hard drive and memory.  I didn't have any error messages.  The message I received on the hard drive and the memory test was test passed.  But I can't help wondering if the test passed why am I having the startup problem.  Windows recovered from the unexpected shutdown but the problem details are:  Problem event name - Blue Screen.  When I checked the box, check for a solution- nothing happens.  What is happening to my notebook?  How can we fix it?  Is the problem in Windows?  I will await your reply.  Thank-you

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 5 (229 Views)

Hi,

Once you can boot into Windows, try the following - seeing as the notebook has problems, I would suugest you back-up all your personal data first.

From the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In to the prompt type the following command and hit enter.

sfc /scannow                 ( note that there is a space between sfc and the / )

Let the process complete, then type exit and hit enter.

Next, click the Start Menu, click Computer, left click Local Disk C once to highlight it, right click Local Disk C and select Properties.  Click the Tools tab and then click the button to 'Check the Drive for Errors'.  In the following window make sure both boxes are ticked and then click Start.  Agree to schedule the check at the next system restart and then restart the notebook - this process can take several hours to complete before loading back into Windows.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
berta62
Message 5 of 5 (199 Views)

Dear HP Support:

I followed all your instructions and I believe my start-up issue is resolved.  I booted into Windows, backed up my personal data and followed the command prompt - sfc /scannow.  After the process I received a message that stated:  Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Next I clicked to computer, local disk c, properties, tools and check the drive for errors.  After the process, which took a little while, (I hope that it reloaded back into windows) I received the message:  The volume is clear.

I restarted and it went directly to the start Windows screen.  I turned it off and back on again and it went to the start Windows screen.  I'm praying that this fixed my problem. 

Thank-you for your expertise and understanding.  I'm not a computer person but I was able to follow your instructions.  How's that for a 64 year old senior citizen.  Thank God I haven't lost it.  Take care and thanks again.  Hopefully my system will continue to operate smoothly.

Alberta Williams

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation