Question

Honor Student
neube2b
Message 1 of 4 (140 Views)

need a product key for windows 7

where do i get a new product key for windows 7 , i had to do a complete restore on my laptop, after this was done iwas asked to re-enter the product key for windows 7, the problem is the key was printed on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop but because the laptop rests on my lap when in use  number has worn off the sticker . how do i get a replacement key .

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 4 (135 Views)

Re: need a product key for windows 7

[ Edited ]

Hi:

Unfortunately, neither Microsoft nor HP will issue you a replacement key or COA sticker.

Your only recourse (without having to purchase a full version of W7), is to purchase a set of recovery disks to reinstall W7 on your notebook, as normally they don't need the product key to work.

Paul

Honor Student
neube2b
Message 3 of 4 (132 Views)

Thanks Paul 

I will try that and see how it goes

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 4 (131 Views)

[ Edited ]

You're very welcome.

I have read many, many posts about this issue.

I decided to look at the sticker on the bottom of my notebook about 6 months ago, and saw that the Vista COA sticker wearing out. I could hardly read what the OS was, but the product key was still legible.

So, I wrote it down for safekeeping, and brushed some polyurethane on the sticker in hopes to preserve it.

I think that Microsoft should have made more durable COA stickers.

On the older versions of XP, and W2K, they were very durable.

On my HP 6930p business notebook, HP wisely put the COA sticker under a see through holder where you can slide in a business card, so the COA is permanently protected.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation