Question

Top Student
Mike-dv8t
Message 1 of 4 (6,630 Views)

new big question mark in taskbar from HP Support Assistant

I have HP Support Assistant set to run weekly and generally (always?) take its upgrade suggestions.  This week it suddenly inserted its big question mark (like its desktop shortcut) into the taskbar.  I finally figured out I can disable that using the Notifications Settings tab's option to “receive notifications” as Pop-ups only.  

Question 1 - why does HP insert an icon into the taskbar that is 50% taller than the taskbar, thus making the taskbar take up more space on the screen?  Maybe the Assistant is ignoring the taskbar setting "use small icons"?  At least the Start button sticks out the top of the taskbar without making the whole taskbar taller. 

Question 2 - what changed recently that caused that to start appearing?  Since the HP Support Assistant on the download page ...

... says it was last changed 2011-06-23, why did its behavior change due to an update on 9/21?  I don't think I changed the settings this week so as to cause this.  My suspicion is that the update page's info is incorrect, and that the Assistant was updated more recently.  Am I wrong? 

Question 3 - Since windows has a way to manage the notifications area (see Start > properties > taskbar > Notification area > customize), why did HP decide to create its own way to insert its iconology into the taskbar?   Or, perhaps more to the point, how (besides this posting) do I vote for HP to get with the (Windows) program?

Question 4 - why does HP have two pages for downloading the Assistant?  I raise the question about having two pages since duplication always leads to the opportunity for information to get out of sync between the copies. There's the page accessed by this path:

• my machine page (for the dv8t-1200) > Software & Driver Downloads > win 7/64 > utility – tools > more info

...which shows a page of info about the Assistant, and by this path:

• my machine page > More for this product > HP Support Assistant > Download HP Support Assistant for Windows 7 > Notebooks

... which directly launches a download of the same file available on the first page.

I have a dv8t-1200 running Win 7 64-bit with latest updates.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 4 (6,503 Views)

Re: new big question mark in taskbar from HP Support Assistant

The big icon was a recent update to the Support Assistant software, you can disable the icon by right clicking on it and Uncheck "HP Support Assistant Quick Acess"

Sometimes updates are pushed out before they actuially show up on the support page for your product.

This is a user to user forum, so I cannot speak to your other questions, sorry.

Student
Just4Comment
Message 3 of 4 (5,960 Views)

Thank you.

I strongly and totally agree with all the points you have made.

Thank you for writing the solution as I was seconds away from removing the software entirely.

(Never to use again)

===============================

HP has been doing well in the past few years.

For years.... as far back as Win 95, their printer drivers often had proprietary managers and subsequently took over and often messed up all other printer drivers in the network.

For all our corporate clients we resolved to only use Microsoft drivers where possible and it subsequently reduced the volume of technical support required.

HP: PLEASE WAKE UP

===============================

Now can we stop the Adobe PDF icon being installed on the desktop after every one of their weekly upgrades?

In the last 8 years I have never launched the PDF viewer first then searched for the file to open!

:-)

Student
myth-mad
Message 4 of 4 (1,847 Views)

Well I too have the same problem, but after unchecking the icon it reappers after some automatically which is very irritating!! Is there any permenant solution for removing this icon from taskbar?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation