Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have raised your post to the appropriate team for review. They should be getting in contact with you soon. 

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

Wow, I had no idea so many people are having the same or similar problem as I am.  On my dv4-2164us, the problem is that the display geometry isn't being communicated to the graphics card.  This EDID data is supposed to be communicated over the last pin (40) of the connector, for which the wire through the hinge has to stretch the farthest.  For a while I could manage by flexing the hinge while booting up, but now it never comes up with the right geometry.  I think the least HP could do is to send everyone a new display connector cable who runs into this problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you Kyle for being interested in the issue that we are experiencing.

I hope something can be worked out to help myself and all of the others.

HP Recommended

Hello Kyle,

I am now in the same boat as too many others! My Pavilion dm4 now has a black screen. My laptop first started flickering when it was gently moved. This began to take place more often and now the screen is just black. I could hear the fan and did not have any keyboard lights giving an error sequence. My hunch was that the laptop was still running properly, but that the LCD screen is malfunctioning. 

I had to put on a miner's light to illuminate the icons enough to save the presentation I was working on. I plugged it into my external HP desktop monitor and it's working. When is HP going to offer a fix for this VERY known issue??? Are they going to back their product  with a recall or fix those that are defective?

This is my third HP laptop and I also own one of their desktops. I've been brand loyal up until now! My impression was that HP is a solid customer based company.  If this is not something HP is willing to fix, I will no longer be purchasing ANY products from HP. I 'm so disappointed in their lack of follow-through!!! This has been a know issue for a couple years- can't believe they have not qualms with screwing over their customer base.

HP Recommended

Hi Kyle.

I'd like to thank you for taking interest but unfortunately it appears that other service staff are making no extra effort to understand mine and all these others issue and as usual am told to find a solution in the forum, or find a replacement part.

It really would appear that HP are not the company probably all of us imagined them to be.

I am disgraced

HP Recommended

Thanks so much mukram ,i have been having this problem for long and any time it happens i have to take the laptop to a repairer and he start loosing the laptop heating the board but after i read what you said i did the same thing and everything works fine..:smileyvery-happy:

HP Recommended

I have two clients both came in this week. One with a dv4 and one with a dv12. on the dv4 i have repleaced the screen and the inverter. no change with botht he new and old parts in, 3 out of every 20 times the screen comes on.. I currently have the client with the dv12 using an external monitor until I can find out what part need prelaced. The guy witht he dv4 has decieded just to buy a new computer... anyone have any idea what is going on with this serries of computers?

HP Recommended

Well After I found this thread I made sure to come in and report mine as well. Luckily Iam fixing it for someone else, and anyonne buying HP laptops is asking for it. This is a company that has the slighest idea about making laptops. This is a company that sells printers and only tapping into the market for profit and not to produce anything worth buying.  This $150 laptop is a trash selling for close to 1000 and its so sad that many have fallen victims to this product.

I urge you to consider Lenovo thinkpads, they have perfected the making of notebooks, T410 or T420 and now T430 are some of the best Notebooks every built. Even their old T61s, or even prior to that, T20s and T30s. This is a company that knows how to make notebooks, solid long lasting, easy to dissasemble if needed, notebooks. I just took this POS DV4  apart, its Junk, it belong in the trash, I didnt even have the desire to spend $4 on a new ribbon and for sure will not replace the inverter which is only $16. If its not a $4 fix Iam recommending they Junk it and make a yourtube clip to warn others.

Buy a thinkpad  T420 for $500 you wont have any regrets,  Same for Apple products, HP = printers and that is it.

HP Recommended

Try 2 days after warranty expires!

HP Recommended

They know what they are doing. I was also 2 days out of warranty!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.