"Bootmgr is missing" after use of Recovery Disks (14856 Views)
Top Student
teritzwitt
Message 1 of 28 (14,856 Views)

"Bootmgr is missing" after use of Recovery Disks

I have a Pavilion DM3Z-1000 Laptop with Windows 7 OS.

Purchased 13 months ago and has "crashed" (failed to boot) 3 previous times requiring return to HP each time.  Even after the third time they refused to replace it so when it failed to boot shortly after the most recent return I wasn't surprised.  After hours with HP support and three different recommendations, was told to use recovery disks which I had already obtained after first failure.  I used the recovery disks which appear to load properly but with first restart I now receive the "Bootmgr is missing" error message.  Used Windows 7 Repair disk hoping to repair this but no luck as it is unable to locate a Windows operating system.  It passes the hardware check.

Any recommendations for resolving this would be greatly appreciated.  After spending over 20 hrs on the phone with HP support over the last year and three returns of the laptop without being willing to replace an obviously defective system,  I've given up on HP.  Thanks. 

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 28 (14,827 Views)

Re: "Bootmgr is missing" after use of Recovery Disks

Hi,

teritzwitt wrote:

I have a Pavilion DM3Z-1000 Laptop with Windows 7 OS.

Purchased 13 months ago and has "crashed" (failed to boot) 3 previous times requiring return to HP each time.  Even after the third time they refused to replace it so when it failed to boot shortly after the most recent return I wasn't surprised.  After hours with HP support and three different recommendations, was told to use recovery disks which I had already obtained after first failure.  I used the recovery disks which appear to load properly but with first restart I now receive the "Bootmgr is missing" error message.  Used Windows 7 Repair disk hoping to repair this but no luck as it is unable to locate a Windows operating system.  It passes the hardware check.

Any recommendations for resolving this would be greatly appreciated.  After spending over 20 hrs on the phone with HP support over the last year and three returns of the laptop without being willing to replace an obviously defective system,  I've given up on HP.  Thanks. 

Have you tried EasyBCD? I have used it a few times to rectify bootmgr issues.

Did you go into the BIOS and verify the Boot order?

Try  the recovery from the Recovery manager on the D: Recovery partition instead of the Recovery disc set.

Best regards,

erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Provost
DavidPK
Message 3 of 28 (14,817 Views)

Hi,

Try the following process.

Download and create the bootable CD as described on the link below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-80183-1&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

When you have created this CD, insert it into the system that is unable to boot, restart it and wait until you see a window with a green check mark.  Then remove the CD and insert your first Recovery DVD.  Restart the PC and go through the process of installing the Operating System again.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Top Student
teritzwitt
Message 4 of 28 (14,812 Views)

Erico,

Thanks very much for your quick response.

I did down load the EasyBCD program as you suggested.  I copied to a disk on another computer and attempted to open it on the affected computer but again got the "BOOTMGR is missing" message.  Any other suggestions on that? 

I have changed the BIOS boot order and am booting from the USB CD/DVD ROM drive now. (booting from the HD results in the BOOTMGR missing message). 

Regarding your other suggestion:  

Try  the recovery from the Recovery manager on the D: Recovery partition instead of the Recovery disc set. 

Can you advise how I would go about doing this?  I'm a relative novice regarding this type of thing so any detailed instructions would be appreciated.  How do I access the Recovery Partition on the D drive?

Again,  greatly apperciate your help.

Terry

Provost
erico
Message 5 of 28 (14,790 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

teritzwitt wrote:

Erico,

Thanks very much for your quick response.

I did down load the EasyBCD program as you suggested.  I copied to a disk on another computer and attempted to open it on the affected computer but again got the "BOOTMGR is missing" message.  Any other suggestions on that? 

I have changed the BIOS boot order and am booting from the USB CD/DVD ROM drive now. (booting from the HD results in the BOOTMGR missing message). 

Regarding your other suggestion:  

Can you advise how I would go about doing this?  I'm a relative novice regarding this type of thing so any detailed instructions would be appreciated.  How do I access the Recovery Partition on the D drive?

Again,  greatly apperciate your help.

Terry

Try DavidPK's suggestion before doing the following

Normally tapping the F11 key just after pressing the power button will invoke the Recovery manager from the D:  Recovery parition.

Here is a link to a nice HP document that covers most every facet of Recovery including all methods available to do that.

Best regards,
erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Top Student
teritzwitt
Message 6 of 28 (14,771 Views)

DP-K,

Thanks very much for your reply.  It certainly made sense as I received my HP Recovery Disks in Jan 2010 and I note that the Utility, the link for which you forwarded,  became available Feb '10.  I was able to successfully download the utility, copy to disk, load on the affected computer so that I got the green arrow.  I then ran the Recovery Disks.  After that was completed and I restarted the computer, I received the "BOOTMGR is missing" message on a black screen once again.   I actually did this twice with a second set of HP Recovery Disks I had since I was sent a second one when the same problem occurred last January with the first one.  

Any other thoughts?  Thanks again,  Terry

Top Student
teritzwitt
Message 7 of 28 (14,770 Views)

Erico,

Pressing F11 when powering on gets me the same error message (BOOTMGR is missing.  Press Ctl+Alt+Del to restart) on the black screen.  Is this because the Recovery Mgr is now deleted by attempting the use of the Recovery Disks?  When the problem first started (this episode - last week), Recovery Mgr was available however however when restoration was attempted, I received an error message "Restoration Incomplete.  The restoration did not complete".  It was at this point that HP Support advised to use the Recovery Disks.  Any further thoughts appreciated.  Thanks.

Terry

Provost
DavidPK
Message 8 of 28 (14,762 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I would try wiping the entire HDD and then try the process again as I've found this can often resolve the issue.

Download and install Killdisk on the link below.

http://software.lsoft.net/KillDiskSuiteFree-Setup.exe

Download and install ImgBurn on the link below.

http://download.cnet.com/ImgBurn/3000-2646_4-10847481.html

Go to the Kill Disk application you have installed in All Programs, open the main folder, then select Bootable Disk creators and from that select Bootable DOS CD Creator which will burn the bootable ISO to a blank CD.

During the next process do not worry about any warnings as your Recovery DVDs will reformat and partition the HDD.

Insert this CD in to your PC that is unable to load Windows 7 properly. Shut the PC down, then start it again to boot from the Killdisk CD and follow the on screen instructions for Kill Disk.

A brief description of the process is here Killdisk.

Use this to wipe the whole of the Hard Drive ( f10 ) - ( make sure you include all partitions and then start the process - this may take a couple of hours! ). 

When the drive is wiped, retry the process of first loading the bootable CD you created earlier and then proceed to reload the OS again.

Let me know how you get on.

Best wishes,

DP-K

Top Student
teritzwitt
Message 9 of 28 (14,714 Views)

DP-K,

I completed the KillDisk process clearing the entire hard drive including partitions.   The KillDisk program allowed me to create a disk so I never used the ImgBurn.  Not sure if that was correct or if that should have been utilized in some other manner.

Anyway,  continued to have the "BOOTMGR IS MISSING" message after loading the HP Cyberlink Utility followed by the Recovery Disks  (2) and Supplement Disk. 

Greatly appreciate all of your assistance and welcome any further thoughts or suggestions you or anyone may have. 

Terry

Provost
DavidPK
Message 10 of 28 (14,703 Views)

Hi Terry,

Tap away at f10 as you start the PC to enter the Bios Menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on the Hard Drive and the Memory.  Run both tests and if you have the option, run the extended test on the Hard Drive.

Let me know how you get on.

Best wishes,

DP-K

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation