Question

Top Student
TechKindergartn
Message 1 of 5 (10,592 Views)

"Other people are logged on to this computer"

Recently when I want to shut down my new HP Elitebook 8730w laptop, I get the following message: "Other people are logged on to this computer.  Shutting down Windows might cause them to lose data..."  No one else is supposed to be logged in to my computer.  Could this message reflect the automatic updates I have on my Windows, MacAfee, and Verizon software, or might it be something more sinister.  I have Windows Xp Professional Service Pack 3.  I have the new laptop and my old one connected to my Verizon Modem Router.  The first time I got the message, I disabled the wireless connection on my new laptop, a connection I do not need.  I will appreciate any help on this matter.  Thanks.
Master's Graduate
melanchete
Message 2 of 5 (10,584 Views)

Re: "Other people are logged on to this computer"

Go to control panel

Double click on user accounts

See any accounts you do not know?

If so, disable them.

I would recommend scanning your system with a better scanner.  I would recommend the you download Eset SmartSecurity or at the very least NOD32(antivirus) http://www.eset.com .  Break your internet and scan your system for Trojan and virus.  Once you are sure that you are clean, then reconnect to the internet and download and run Spybot Search and Destroy.

TechKindergartn wrote:
Recently when I want to shut down my new HP Elitebook 8730w laptop, I get the following message: "Other people are logged on to this computer.  Shutting down Windows might cause them to lose data..."  No one else is supposed to be logged in to my computer.  Could this message reflect the automatic updates I have on my Windows, MacAfee, and Verizon software, or might it be something more sinister.  I have Windows Xp Professional Service Pack 3.  I have the new laptop and my old one connected to my Verizon Modem Router.  The first time I got the message, I disabled the wireless connection on my new laptop, a connection I do not need.  I will appreciate any help on this matter.  Thanks.

Pavilion DV7-1285dx Notebook, Windows 7 64bit, Intel X2 P8600 2.40GHz, Nvidia GeForce 9600M, 6GB RAM, 2x 500GB HD(s)
Top Student
TechKindergartn
Message 3 of 5 (10,563 Views)

Control panel shows a "Guest Account", but it is not turned on.  Is it safe to assume this account does not indicate a highjacker?  Thanks for advice on scanners, etc., not to mention control panel.
Master's Graduate
melanchete
Message 4 of 5 (10,554 Views)

Start Task Manager click on the user tab and see who is logged on...
Pavilion DV7-1285dx Notebook, Windows 7 64bit, Intel X2 P8600 2.40GHz, Nvidia GeForce 9600M, 6GB RAM, 2x 500GB HD(s)
Top Student
TechKindergartn
Message 5 of 5 (10,533 Views)

Will do, and thank you.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation