Question

Student
BerryLarry
Message 1 of 2 (715 Views)

"The client of a component requested an operation which is not valid..."

Hello!  I'm the owner of an hp lap top which currently has Windows 7 installed.  Unfortunately, after having a small crash and no luck with performing a Startup Repair, I tried performing a factory reset for fear of getting a virus(I did have Norton installed).  After this reset, I believe that my lap top is free of viruses, but I also recieve the error "The client of a component requested an operation which is not valid given the state of the component instance" whenever I try to download anything, or access any part of my computer as an administrator.  Unfortunately, all the tips I've found online have lead to further blocks by the exact same error message.  Does this problem look familiar to anyone?  Thanks in advance!

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 2 of 2 (674 Views)

Re: "The client of a component requested an operation which is not valid..."

This could be related to the 3.5 .NET framework. 

Do you get this message when trying to perform Windows Updates?  By no means is this error exclusive to Windows Updates, but it looks like it is common with them.

Is this a pop up error message or a blue screen fatal/critical error?

Review the solution in this thread.

It also looks like malware can cause this error based on this thread (buried in one of the logs).  Even though you have reinstalled the system, some malware is advanced enough that it can return.  It can also return if it happens to get backed up with personal files and then restored with them.  Anti-virus is a great step in protecting systems from the most common viruses, but they won't catch the virus unless it's been added to the virus definition list by the security software developer.  I'm not saying that this is the case, just that it's possible. 

Let me know what happens (in particular with the first thread). 

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation