Question

Honor Student
Gary_mw
Message 1 of 4 (1,111 Views)

"recovery manager cannot run from the hard drive" I am using the disks yet I still get this message

I am attemping to restore a Compaq Presario, Windows 7 OP and am receiving this error message: "recovery manager cannot run from the hard drive" I am using the recovery disks yet I still get this message.  I tried to change the boot order under the BIOS but it didn't help.  I had performed a hard disk test and it says I have no hard disk or something like that.  Could the hard drive be burned out or something?  I'd like to restore this computer using the disks if possible before sending the computer in to the shop for a replacement hard drive.  Thanks in advance.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 4 (1,084 Views)

Re: "recovery manager cannot run from the hard drive" I am using the disks yet I still get

Sounds like the hard drive has failed, you can run a test to confirm this, if the hard drive fails the test you will need a new hard drive, then reinstall using the discs you made.

Test the hard drive:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/How-to-test-RAM-and-HDD-Hard-Drive/td-p/...

Honor Student
Gary_mw
Message 3 of 4 (1,060 Views)

Re: "recovery manager cannot run from the hard drive" I am using the disks yet I still get

I was afraid of that.  It's dead.  I've had this laptop less than 2 years.  How can it die so quickly?  I have heard about external fans you can use to cool the computer when using it.  Do these help extend the life of the hard drive?

Thanks.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 4 of 4 (1,054 Views)

Hard drives vary on how long they last, I have had brand new ones I ordered arrive doa, and others over 10 years old and still running.

Extra cooling never hurts.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation