Question

Tutor
DV7TLeee
Message 1 of 6 (1,262 Views)

replacing HP 4520s Win 7 32-bit to 64-bit

I badly need your best Support guide to replace my HP 4520s Win 7 32-bit to 64-bit so Windows 7 can recognize my new 4GB Memory chip I already installed. YES, I got the two original HP DVD for both Windows.

Tutor
DV7TLeee
Message 2 of 6 (1,207 Views)

Re: replacing HP 4520s Win 7 32-bit to 64-bit

I found solution here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-systems-and/Can-I-install-Win7-64bit-after-uninstall...

New question and I hope you could guide me:

1. It will deleted Windows 7 32-bit and all my others application?

2. Can I choose ONLY  O.S. 32-bit be replaced?

3. How many hard drive partition will it created?

Thank You & Kudos will be given! :smileyhappy:

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 3 of 6 (1,189 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi:

It depends on what you want to do...

I have only installed the 64 bit OS right over the 32 bit OS on the same partition.

So to do it that way, just boot off the 64 bit OS disk. Tell Windows you want to install it on the existing Windows partition. Do not delete or reformat the partition. Windows will install and it will name your 32 bit OS and files Windows.old.

Then when the installation is finished, you can copy any files you forgot to back up onto the new 64 bit installation.

When you are sure you have all you want off your old installation you can delete the Windows.old folder and all that disk space is now available to you without having additional partitions.

I have done it this way numerous times.

Paul

Tutor
DV7TLeee
Message 4 of 6 (1,178 Views)

Hi Paul,
Thank You for your support and guidance. As I promised and YOU really deserved my Kudos.

My real problem or wish is to Format the whole hard drive then request Windows to create TWO partition of C: 120GB and D: 200GB, approximately.

Also, I wanted Windows will delete the HP_RECOVERY and HP_TOOLS partitions in the Formatting process and won't create this two partition again.

I also wanted a clean install for Windows 7, 64-bit OS and I will install by using my HP Application and Driver Recovery DVD.

I hope Windows can do all my wishes and wish you could guide me again.:smileyhappy:

Sincerely,
Joe

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 5 of 6 (1,173 Views)

Hi, Joe:

OK. I think I understand:

You want to delete the restore partition and only have 2 partitions, one with the Windows 7 and one blank.

Then when you launch the W7 installation program I recommend you delete all the partitions and then you will have one whole drive. Then create a partition of the size you want to install windows on.

When the installation is complete you can use disk management in Windows 7 to partition and format the other unpartitioned space.

Then you should have the two partitions you want.

I have a 6930p and I deleted HP Tools and the recovery partition too and I have the full disk (250 GB) with Windows Vista Business.

You can use the backup program in Windows 7 to create a repair disk and make a system image on a portable hard drive. You can do this with Windows Vista business too.

So there is no need to waste space on your hard drive for a recovery partition.

I hope my explanation helps you.

Paul

Tutor
DV7TLeee
Message 6 of 6 (1,165 Views)

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your swift reply. I knew there was a solution. You're the best!  Your advice and explanation are very much appreciated. Easy to do, don't think I would have figure this out without your help. I'll try it ASAP!

J:smileyhappy:e

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation