Question

Top Student
keanman
Message 1 of 5 (4,218 Views)
Accepted Solution

Hi, 

I have tried to set up the factory configuration, after having system instabilities,using the the 4 DVDs I have burned but at the end of the installation I got the following message:

File: \boot\BCD

info: An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

I have an hp pavilion DV6 notebook, windows 7 installed.

please help.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 5 (4,202 Views)

Re: status: 0xc000000f \boot\bcd

Hi,

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
keanman
Message 3 of 5 (4,193 Views)

Hi,

I have already tested the Primary Hard Disk and no problems reported and I have just tested the memory and same thing No problems ( passed).

Any suggestions?

Regards,

B.Y

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 5 (4,190 Views)

Hi,

I would suggest that the next step would be to rule out a potential problem with the Recovery Discs.

There is a straight forward way to check this if you have ( or can borrow ) a retail Windows 7 installation disc that is exactly the same version as your OEM installation - ie if your notebook came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit this is the exact retail version you would need.

If you don't have access to a retail disc, you can create an installation disc yourself - just download the correct Disc Image from the link below and use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO correctly to a blank DVD CD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.  These Images are clean and from a well-respected source, however there are only limited versions available.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-link...

Use the disc to perform the installation, enter the Windows activation key found on the underside of your notebook when requested and when the installation has completed, use the 'Phone Method' detailed in the link below to activate the OS - this method supported by Microsoft and is popular with people who just want a clean installation of Windows 7 without the additional software load normally bundled with OEM installations.

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

Any additional drivers you may need for your particular Model can be found starting Here.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
keanman
Message 5 of 5 (4,147 Views)

Good morning,

I've just installed the retail Windows 7 and It worked perfectly!! After many trials with windows 7 Titan, windows XP...Now the question is : Why my recovery Disks didn't work? I must add that I have  installed Proffessional version and not the original one which is Home premium! and HOW can I find my original drivers? I have been in the HP website and I couldn't find some drivers ( like the one to my symantec mouse).

Thank you, you saved me from long and worthless procedure to fix my laptop.

Regards.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation