Question

Tutor
Optical10
Message 1 of 7 (3,577 Views)

touchsmart tx2 windows 8 Pro Retail 64bit & Fingerprint + other hardware buttons issues

I have successfully install w8 and the Ntrig Duo touch/pen drivers from their website. But I obviously want more hardware buttons & fingerprint functionality which need hp & Digital Persona software support.

As the tx2 is a post October 2011 model its not supported by hp for w8 updates but I was wondering if any has had success with w7 64bit sw I stalls native or in w7 compatibility mode as my attempts have failed?

Im thinking on the lines of previous upgrades that weren't supported by hp in the past like when vista hp touchsmart models wasnt also upgradable to w7 but clever members got around this sw issues by diving into the sw etc, but I dont have those skills.

On the fingerprint sw issue im not so optimistic as I believe Apple has acquired Digital Persona so what are the chances they still support a 2009 hw model (AES1610) reader?

Anyway it would be nice if anyone knows a way, like some Dell users have,  to get the sw working.

I just want to stretch the lifespan of this tablet as I've just managed to replace the GPU after the overheating issue so any suggestions much appreciated. 

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 2 of 7 (3,550 Views)

touchsmart tx2 windows 8 Pro Retail 64bit & Fingerprint + other hardware buttons issues

I have a Touchsmart tm2 which is similar to your tx model.

I was able to get switchable graphics to work finally, but the fingerprint reader is a different story.

I was able to get Digital Persona installed and enroll fingerprints, but it did not actually work for the one function I used it for: logging into Windows.

I was able to successfully log in with a local account, but not a Windows Live account using the fingerprint function. It seems that there is something between Windows 8 live accounts and the software that is not allowed since I can successfully log in using my fingerprint on a local account.

If you did not tie your Windows 8 account to a live account (@hotmail.com, @live.com, etc.), then this may work in this case.

1. Uninstall the Digital Persona sofware via Programs and Features.

2. Install the HP Software Framework for Windows 8 from here.

3. Go here and enter your product model number or full product model name. I suggest entering this for Software and Driver downloads.

4. Select the most recent operating system that matches the bit architecture of your installation of Windows 8. For example, Windows 7 64bit for Windows 8 64bit.

5. Go to the software security section and download the Digital Persona software.

6. Run the file and the extraction process should begin. Do not actually install the software, but cancel the installation after the extraction process is finished.
NOTE: Take note of where the files are being extracted to. This should be c:\swsetup\filename by default. Filename is the name of the file being downloaded.

7. Navigate to the folder where the files was extracted and there should be a setup or installer file for the software. This is where it may be different. Choose the path that most resembles what you see.

A. If you see troubleshoot compatibility in the right-click menu, select this option. Let the prompts continue and select the automatic option and test the installation with these settings.

B. If you do not see troubleshoot compatibility, select properties>compatibility tab>enable compatibility> select Windows 7 or XP Service pack 3. Select OK to close and apply the options that were selected and then install the software by opening the setup/installation file.

8. Test the software in the same way you did before the upgrade.

This will not work for logging into a Windows Live account in Windows 8, but it should for a local account that is not tied to a Windows Live account.

Let me know what happens.
Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Tutor
Optical10
Message 3 of 7 (3,528 Views)

Re: touchsmart tx2 windows 8 Pro Retail 64bit & Fingerprint + other hardware buttons issues

Thanks l managed to install the correct win7,64 bit drivers & software from Digital Persona before I got your reply but I'm giving you a kUDOs point about the hotmail live login nOt Working, I would have been tearing my hair out if you hadn't pointed that oUt..

By the way the 'HP Software Framework for Windows 8' isn't, as far as l can tell, available for my model and yet I was able proceed with Windows 8.

#1. Does that mean I'm losing some functionality without it installed? 

#2. Is your Modal Win8 supported due to the 'HP Software Framework for Windows 8' availability for it ?

#3. Have you been able to install 'ALL' hp specific software like the rest of the 'TouchSmart' touch apps functionality and others like Light Scribe DVD burning functions sw USing the previous Win7' 64bit drwars & sw in Win8?

Any tips much appreciated as I need to know whether to continue or give up now with microsofts Windows 8 touch features only or push on to get ALL hp Touchsmart fully functioning like it was in win 7.

Cheers

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 4 of 7 (3,516 Views)

I take it you had tried the link to the HP software framework I provided and it did not work.

At this time I'm not certain how important the HP software framework is, but I do know some HP software will not work properly without it. This particularly applies to switchable graphics, but it appears your model does not have switchable graphics.

My Touchsmart tm2 allowed the HP software framework to install without any issues on Windows 8 Professional 64bit. At this time, my model is not officially supported on Windows 8. All software for it is Windows 7 64bit software that was installed using compatibility mode. So far, everything seems to be working with the exception of Touchsmart branded software. This software is not compatible with Windows 8 and had to be removed.

Lightscribe is functional for me. I did this by going here and installing all lightscribe software starting with LSS at the top. This was installed in compatibility mode as described in the earlier steps.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Top Student
0c370t
Message 5 of 7 (3,050 Views)

Re: touchsmart tx2 windows 8 Pro Retail 64bit & Fingerprint + other hardware buttons issues

[ Edited ]

hello,

I got the framework working

now my question is:

is there a way to get the video drivers for windows 8 64bit?

I have been trying without success To get the intel drivers running, but I get the error telling me I "don't meet the minimum requirements"

thanks for your help

-Brian

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 6 of 7 (3,008 Views)

What is the product number of the notebook?  This is usually found where the serial number is.

NOTE: Do NOT provide the serial number or the Windows product key.

Signature
Student
B_e_n
Message 7 of 7 (918 Views)

Hello everybody

Thanks Cloud Strider for the help i think i was the only one who tried windows 8 on the touchsmart...

I install windows 8.1 update 1 with all the last update and all work fine (after all the update and the windows driver installation) except the fingerprint...

But even if i restart all the installation with your technic i can t get the fingerprint working...

I have an hp Touchsmart TX2-1150ef with an Authentec AES1610 fingerprint sensor and i try a lot of driver but no one worked...

Like you did installing the old windows 7 driver bring me to: " Error 2753. The File 'dpinst64.exe' is not marked for installation " and the installation failed and i try with the troubleshoot compatibility (it launch it with winXP SP3) and it s the same if i manually put it with windows 7.

I try also with others drivers i found. More recent but for the same hardware(Authentec AES 1610) but with a different laptop. And i succesfully install 2 others drivers but no one detect the sensor....

Any idea???? I don t know what to try now...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation