vista os product key faded (1175 Views)
Honor Student
mahuhudog
Message 1 of 2 (1,175 Views)

vista os product key faded

Hi

I own a presario v6704tu laptop running Vista 32bit home premium, recently it crashed and i used a friends disc to re-install   Vista (the same type of computer) as mine was already installed when i bought it and stupidly didn't make a back up.

Anyway it installed  but i need to enter my vista product key but the sticker on the bottom of computer has faded and i can't read it. is there some way of working out what it is or getting some kind of code from HP to register it or is it a case of having to purchase new recovery discs. i'm not even sure if new discs would help as its the product key on the microsoft sticker that i'm missing. 

if i need to phone somebody would it be HP or microsoft as i seem to be going round in circles with websites 

thanks in advance for any info that would help 

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 2 (1,159 Views)

Re: vista os product key faded

mahuhudog wrote:

Hi

I own a presario v6704tu laptop running Vista 32bit home premium, recently it crashed and i used a friends disc to re-install   Vista (the same type of computer) as mine was already installed when i bought it and stupidly didn't make a back up.

Anyway it installed  but i need to enter my vista product key but the sticker on the bottom of computer has faded and i can't read it. is there some way of working out what it is or getting some kind of code from HP to register it or is it a case of having to purchase new recovery discs. i'm not even sure if new discs would help as its the product key on the microsoft sticker that i'm missing. 

if i need to phone somebody would it be HP or microsoft as i seem to be going round in circles with websites 

thanks in advance for any info that would help 

Did you format the entire hard disk when you installed Vista?

If you did the smart thing and left the Recovery partition alone then you can do a recovery from it.

Is your friend's Vista version exactly the same as yours? Vista Home Premium (probably was 64-bit) 

Are your answers to the preceding questions are Yes, No and No, then order an HP recovery disc set for your notebook. Otherwise you will be unable to use the Windows license that your notebook came with.  

Best regards,
erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation