Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm using the hp Pavilion g6 laptop with windows 8.

For about a week now my laptop has been acting strange.
It has been taking 10minutes to start up and when I enter my password it takes forever to load.
A few days after that problem started the laptop began to have more problems, I'd turn it on and the screen would remain black. it would take 20minutes or more for the screen to finally show a display.

YESTERDAY the fan in my laptop began to blow very loudly wen I was using it and when this would happen everything would freeze and I'd be unble to use the cursor or type AT ALL!

Now TODAY I've turned it on and everything is gone!
ALL of my pictures have vanished.
My start page icons are no longer on the start page and some icon are not displayed on my desktop anymore eigther.
Also, the THEME has changed on the device.

Can somebody, anybody PLEASE offer me some help?
Thank u

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are very welcome. I am so sorry about the files. From the limited information I have it is difficult for me to infer what would have caused this. May I know whether you are the only user on this Notebook? Do you have only 1 Local user account? 

I see. I completely understand. I have gone through it before and I know that it can be very upsetting. I understand that the lost files were close to your heart. So, I would like to suggest you to try any of the trusted third party software for getting the files restored. The Windows Operating System does not have an in-built software that can help us in this regard. A file when deleted is not deleted forever from your hard drive. A copy of the file still lies at a location on your hard drive and requires a software code which specialized software of this kind will have to get it retrieved.

You may please try the free software which are mentioned on this website: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filerecovery/tp/free-file-recovery-programs.htm

NOTE: The URL above will take you outside the Hewlett-Packard Web site. HP does not control and is not responsible for information outside of the HP Web site.

I hope that helps.

!------------------- Please click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'. Please mark 'Accept as Solution' if it answers/solves your problem. Thank you-----------------------------------------------------------------!

I am an HP Employee. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi,

We can go ahead and perform a Microsoft System Restore that will take your Computer back to a date before the issue occurred. 

Please select the document according to the Operating System on your Notebook.

Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 7): http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01835735

Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 8): http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327545

I hope that helps.

!------------------- Please click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'. Please mark 'Accept as Solution' if it answers/solves your problem. Thank you-----------------------------------------------------------------!

I am an HP Employee. 

HP Recommended
thank you for your advice but will that restore all my photo's and files?
HP Recommended

Hi,

A Microsoft System Restore will help you to get all the settings and themes of your Notebook back. All the software changes that you have been seeing will be reverted. Unfortunately, a System Restore does not affect personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos, so it cannot help you restore a deleted file. If you have backups of your files, you can restore the files from a backup. 

Do you have backup of those photos anywhere. Have you ever used the Windows data backup feature? Please keep this document for future reference:

Backing Up Your Files (Windows 8): http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03270359

I sincerely hope that you are able to find a backup of those files.

I am an HP Employee. 

HP Recommended

Thank u very much for all of your help. No to the questions. No back up  for any of it including my CV and not used a back up feature before. This is very upsetting but I'll try the restore advice you gave me, much appreciated.

HP Recommended

You are very welcome. I am so sorry about the files. From the limited information I have it is difficult for me to infer what would have caused this. May I know whether you are the only user on this Notebook? Do you have only 1 Local user account? 

I see. I completely understand. I have gone through it before and I know that it can be very upsetting. I understand that the lost files were close to your heart. So, I would like to suggest you to try any of the trusted third party software for getting the files restored. The Windows Operating System does not have an in-built software that can help us in this regard. A file when deleted is not deleted forever from your hard drive. A copy of the file still lies at a location on your hard drive and requires a software code which specialized software of this kind will have to get it retrieved.

You may please try the free software which are mentioned on this website: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filerecovery/tp/free-file-recovery-programs.htm

NOTE: The URL above will take you outside the Hewlett-Packard Web site. HP does not control and is not responsible for information outside of the HP Web site.

I hope that helps.

I am an HP Employee. 

HP Recommended

You have been absolutely amazing I can't thank you enough, I really hope I'm able to get the stuff back.
Was just thinking of taking the laptop back to pcworld to see if they can do it because I am soo worried about causing more harm then good if I attempt it myself lol.

I really don't know what could have caused this, I'm the only user of the laptop and I'm very careful. My neighbour allows me to use her wifi but it's got a code to access it so it can't be an attack from anyone else on the network right?

I don't normally download anything on to it but was adviced by a friend to get some protection just incase so i did. The only thing I downloaded was a free AVG anti virus and i'm starting to wonder if that's what caused the laptop to act up. it was all around the same time but can't rememebr which happened 1st.

All i know is that all of a sudden, this week everything got wiped.

I did buy Norton anti virus in january but have been unsuccesful with installing it. i'll just get it all done at the shop. Fingers crossed my files return.

I appreciate all your help and the fact that you took time out to address this, you've been great 🙂

I've just finished re-creating some of the documents lost, and as much as I don't like the idea of saving them online it's what I've done just to avoid this happing again.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you so much for your really kind and sweet words. I am a passionate HP employee and I am happy to help HP customers in any ways I can. 

I really hope I'm able to get the stuff back.I Was just thinking of taking the laptop back to pcworld to see if they can do it because I am soo worried about causing more harm then good if I attempt it myself lol.--->>> I too hope the same and I completely support your decision. Since the data is very close to you, you should not take any risks while trying to retrieve it. It will be less stressful if you can let an expert take care of it in front of your eyes.

I really don't know what could have caused this, I'm the only user of the laptop and I'm very careful. My neighbour allows me to use her wifi but it's got a code to access it so it can't be an attack from anyone else on the network right?--->>> I would not assume this to be an attack on your network as it is a private network shared by you and your neighbour and you had it protected. There are lot of third-party softwares to crack the windows protection though but that is a very very rare possibility. Even I cannot think of what could have gone wrong. I am sorry that I could not help you in any better ways sitting at a remote location and trying to assist you over the web.

AVG anti-virus is a pretty decent free anti-virus and I dont think that could be the issue either. But maybe, the location from where you downloaded could make a difference. Was that a trusted resource/website?

I appreciate all your help and the fact that you took time out to address this, you've been great :-)-->>> Thank you so much. It is customers like you that drive HP forward and I am happy to assist in anyways possible.

I've just finished re-creating some of the documents lost, and as much as I don't like the idea of saving them online it's what I've done just to avoid this happing again.--->>> Yes, that is a good precationary measure. Please also not forget to start an automatic backup function on Windows 8 following the instructions on the document that I provided earlier so that you can always have a local backup of all your important files.

If you feel that this issue was answered to your complete satisfaction, can you please mark "Accept as Solution" to support me. I will greatly appreciate that. Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hey there,

yes you really have helped and so it really hasn't gone unappreciated.

lol your in a remote location? well it doesn't seemed to have hindered your ability to come up with solutions so whatever works right?

The anit virus website was just one that popped up when i was looking through Google, perhaps the site was unsecure like you suggested but I'm really not even sure if that was the cause, i guess the main thing is just that it doesn't happen again.  Because of your advice i feel less stressed about the 'WHY' now and feel positive that there may be away to rectify what went wrong and even if it's unsuccessful (I'm really hoping it is though so I can get back the videos and pics of me and my daughter when I first had her) atleast I've been able to try now. That was one of the worst things, just not knowing if there was anything at all that I could do.  

I agree backing it up really is the best way forward and yes absolutely I'm happy to do that (accept as solution), you have given me options that I can now follow up.
so kudos also 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you so much. 🙂

lol your in a remote location? well it doesn't seemed to have hindered your ability to come up with solutions so whatever works right?--->>> Yes 🙂

Yes, I understand that the data was very close to your heart. I too hope the same.

It was nice talking to you. Please get back to us if you need any assistance in the future 🙂

I am an HP Employee.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.