Question

Student
neranji
Message 1 of 4 (3,838 Views)

windows 8.1 update error code : 0x80240031

My HP ENVY dv6 windows 8 Notebook PC can't update to windows 8.1. this massage (windows 8.1 update error code : 0x80240031)  is showing. what is this? what am i to do?

HP Support Agent
SuperMario1
Message 2 of 4 (3,774 Views)

Re: windows 8.1 update error code : 0x80240031

Hello neranji,

Welcome to the HP Forums. I hope you enjoy your experience!

I understand you are unable to install Windows 8.1. I apologize for the late response, but I will do my best to assist you. I'm going to provide some steps to try and explanations telling why these steps will help you:

1. Run a clean boot of the computer. This will turn off all third-party programs. Some third-party programs can interfere with this installation. For more information on how to do this, please reference this Microsoft document: How to perform a clean boot in Windows

2. Turn off any programs that the clean boot did not. Certain programs like this are firewall, anti-virus and registry editing software. Any programs that didn't turn off have a greater chance of affecting the installation.

3. Make sure all of your Windows updates are complete. The 8.1 upgrade will not install if there are new updates that have not been installed. I will provide a Microsoft page with instructions on how to do this: Windows Update

4. Make sure all drivers are installed properly. Certain driver conflicts will cause this installation to fail. You can use HP Support Assistant to ensure all your drivers are properly installed. This HP document will provide information on how to do this: Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers

5. Run a System File Check. There might be corruption on the operating system that is messing with the installation. Running this scan will check for corruption and try to resolve any issues that are found. This Microsoft document will show you how to do it: Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

I believe this will assist you in resolving the issue. I encourage you to try all of these steps. If you could, please post your results when you complete these steps. Thank you for choosing the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Mario

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" next to it to say “Thanks” for helping!

Super Mario 1
I work on behalf of HP
Student
jinja
Message 3 of 4 (3,577 Views)

I tried all your suggestions on a Probook 4740s and still have the problem of the install failing with the same error message. It downloads approximately 2.7 GB and then fails.

I watch the received byte count in ethernet status window to check the download size and it allways fails at around 2.7 GB. Do you have any other suggestions, I have now made 7 attempts to implement this update on this PC?

I have never had any problems on many other updates on family and friends PCs without taking any special steps other than making sure all outstanding windows updates are done.

HP Support Agent
SuperMario1
Message 4 of 4 (3,532 Views)

Hello jinja,

I understand you are experiencing a similar issue with your ProBook. However, since this is a commercial notebook, you should post your issue on the notebook board of the HP Enterprise Forums for a better answer.

Thank you and have a great day!

Mario

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" next to it to say “Thanks” for helping!

Super Mario 1
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation