07-02-2014 05:28 PM
hi: bought a cool laptop few months back, all the latest bells n whistles. came with windows 8, and a hp warning not to update to windows 8.1 as some laptops have crashed on updating.
well, is it safe to update to windows 8. 1now? whats are the pros and cons?
appreciate a response from the tech experts!!!
07-02-2014 06:12 PM
I actually upgraded my wife's Envy TS 15-j003 yesterday. It's a brand new machine with Windows 8. With 100 (yes 100) Windows 8 updates, it failed twice and at the end I had to split to 6 groups to be abale to pass all updates. The Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 upgrade took 2 hours (my other machine took only 45mins or less). No hiccup.
If your machine is up to date, it may take around 1 to 2 hours to upgrade. Windows 8.1 is much, much, much better than Windows 8. My wife does not know she is using Windows 8.1, because nearly everything looks like Windows 7.
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
07-28-2014 01:35 AM - edited 07-28-2014 01:35 AM
Thank you for giving me courage to update. I have today, took a few hours like you said. but wifi connection is dropping. what drivers must I update from the hp website?
- Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 8)
- Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 7)
- Troubleshooting HP System Recovery Problems (Windows 8)
- Read this before ordering your Recovery Discs! (US and Canada Only)
- Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 8)
- Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 7)