windows 8.1 (2150 Views)
Tutor
hyc9301
Message 1 of 9 (2,150 Views)
Accepted Solution

windows 8.1

I have installed Windows 8.1 preview.  My HP ENVY dv6-7398ca Notebook PC was previously running Windows 8.  There is a problem with the Ralink RT5390R 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter.  Upon restarting the computer the computer does not find networks, though they are there.  Uninstalling the driver, rebooting the computer, then reinstalling the driver from the HP provided driver update file restablishish the network adapter.  

After doing this for several days, I have not found another solution and believe the driver has not been updated for the new operating system.  If anyone has had a similar problem?

Intern
ParardhaSarmah
Message 2 of 9 (2,102 Views)

Re: windows 8.1

The Windows 8 operating sytem has many bugs and fixes that are yet to be fixed! I would recommend Windows 7! Its very much reliable!
Tutor
hyc9301
Message 3 of 9 (2,083 Views)

Windows 8.1 has been great with the exception of this driver from RALINK. I. Like it better than 8.0 and better than Win7.

I normally do not run "preview editions" . Usually test those on a virtual machine. Disappointed in Hp and Microsoft.
Intern
ParardhaSarmah
Message 4 of 9 (2,025 Views)

Then the only thing you can do is to contact the manufacturer,also chech whether your hardware is compatible!
Intern
ParardhaSarmah
Message 5 of 9 (2,023 Views)

Then the only thing you can do is to contact the manufacturerhttp://www.ralinktech.com/en/ ,also chech whether your hardware is compatible!
Tutor
hyc9301
Message 6 of 9 (2,000 Views)

Did that.  HP was of little use.  RALink does not provide support to users, but will to OEM's.  I solved the problem by comparing the driver numbers and not the release date on the RALINK site.  Tried a different driver and it seems to be working.  

Intern
ParardhaSarmah
Message 7 of 9 (1,985 Views)

Hapy 2 hear dat you solvd it!
PhD Student
IT_WinSec
Message 8 of 9 (1,973 Views)

[ Edited ]

hyc9301 wrote:

Did that.  HP was of little use.  RALink does not provide support to users, but will to OEM's.  I solved the problem by comparing the driver numbers and not the release date on the RALINK site.  Tried a different driver and it seems to be working.  

Hello hyc9301,

Thank you for posting in HP support forums!

I am sorry about the issue you experience.

I am happy that you managed to resolve your issue. I would just like to add some things to this topic.

Windows 8.1 is very nice improvement over Windows 8 - as you have noticed. However, it is not just some simple update but it brings some changes that require some more time for 3rd party vendors to produce appropriate update. Please, also note that Windows 8.1 is still in Preview version (which means BETA - non-final, test version) which may contain unfinished features and software errors (bugs).

Good news is Microsoft are going to release the final versions of Windows 8.1 (RTM) by the end of this month. This means it will be available for companies very soon and most probably in October for end users, too. I believe that by that time everything with your drivers will get polished completely.

If you continue using Windows 8.1 Preview - make sure you know this is non-final version and not officially supported yet. Unexpected behaviour is expected :smileyhappy: Keep an eye on the news and wait for the final version of Windows 8.1 - watch for updated drivers for your computer.

Do not hesitate to post again if you have any questions - I would be glad if I can help you!

Best regards,

IT_WinSec

Technical Support Engineer

Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP, MCTS, MCITP) ; CompTIA certified

I am a Hewlett-Packard employee. I express my own opinion and ideas and do not officially represent HP as a company

Visit www.hp.com and learn about the greatest computers !

*** My help here is always free. If you would like to show appreciation for advice or help, please click the white KUDOS star. If your problem has been solved - please, mark the thread as Solved. ***

Best wishes,
IT_WinSec
Technical support engineer
HP employee. MCP, MCTS, MCITP, MTA, CT
I express my personal opinion, not of HP. www.hp.com/makeitmatter
Tutor
hyc9301
Message 9 of 9 (1,940 Views)

There are many features and benefits I have noted with Windows 8.1.  I agree with all the comments you made, and the error was mine on installing the Preview.  However, so far programs that work well with Windows 8.0 have worked well with 8.1.  

Part of my problem was actually caused by the HP update process.  The process will check the driver installed and if it does not match what HP considers the latest, it will update the driver.  Since I had downloaded a newer driver, not used by HP, I was reverting to the older driver.  The solution was to disable automatic updates and review any changes before installing them.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation