Question

Honor Student
merimary
Message 1 of 8 (21,559 Views)

windows 8 factory reset

I need to take my HP notebook pc back to factory reset but can't find where to do it. I hate windows 8, can anyone help me?

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 8 (21,552 Views)

Re: windows 8 factory reset

You will need to locate your Recovery disk set or usb recovery media that you created when you first setup your notebook. Boot from it and you should be able to access the recovery manager and perform a factory image recovery to return your notebook to itsWindows 7 as delivered condition.

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Provost
banhien
Message 3 of 8 (21,550 Views)

Hi,

Depending on how did you install Windows 8 you may not need to go back to Factory settings at all. What is your machine ? What was its OS before Windows 8 ? How did you install Windows 8 ?

We need more info to be able to help.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
merimary
Message 4 of 8 (21,536 Views)

I bought it new and only a few days ago, but I'm not happy with it and it has alot of my personal info in it. I'd like to take it back for a refund but before I do I have to clear out all my personal info. It is a notebook 2000. I found where to take it back to factory restore and its been sitting there for hours now saying it's preparing. I think it had some internal problems :smileysad:

Honor Student
merimary
Message 5 of 8 (21,534 Views)

It has a factory restore on it, but its sitting there for hours now saying preparing. Since I just bought it 4 days ago I didn't create a recovery disk yet.
Provost
erico
Message 6 of 8 (21,522 Views)

[ Edited ]

merimary wrote:
Since I just bought it 4 days ago I didn't create a recovery disk yet.

IMHO that was not the wisest of plans. Always have a plan B.

If you have anything other than a mouse and keyboard connected to the PC, then disconnect it. That can cause failure to complete a recovery.

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Honor Student
merimary
Message 7 of 8 (21,509 Views)

Yeah I know that wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done. This notebook has some serious issues, it won't even restart when you click restart, have to do it manually. I called what I thought was HP supposrt and got ripped off for $109.00 for them to go through and find the problems. That was one of the dumbest things I've done since buying this waste of space. It wasn't HP at all, but they said they were. Couldn't I just mail this thing to HP and have them fix it or give me another? It's only 5 days old!

Provost
erico
Message 8 of 8 (21,498 Views)

[ Edited ]

I recommend that you purchase a recovery disk set from HP or an HP partner. That way you will be able to return your notebook to the useable condition it was in when it was delivered to you.

The cost for a recovery disk set is usually around $25.00 USD. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation