Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Windows 8 store has been giving me this message(see screenshot) from the 25th of january 2013. I can't also switch to a microsoft account-it says that it can't connect to microsoft services.

store.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I was able to resolve the windows store and updates issue. I just ran the normal windows troubleshooter. Initially after the first search it didn't bring up any solutions but it did give me an option of running the troubleshooter as an administrator which eventually resolved all the issues. Am now able to access the windows store and windows update even on a dial up connection.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

See if this helps: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-unable-install-apps-windows-8-store

The problem was cleared for me by using the 'Windows 8 App Troubleshooter' link to download the "apps.diagcab" program from Microsoft. Download and Save this program and then Run it to see if it clears your problem.

Just had my Windows 8 Notebook 3 weeks now - what a nightmare - full of bugs! Almost took it back to the shop today when I couldn't run any downloaded programs from the internet.

HP Recommended

@Galactic_Grey wrote:

See if this helps: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-unable-install-apps-windows-8-store

The problem was cleared for me by using the 'Windows 8 App Troubleshooter' link to download the "apps.diagcab" program from Microsoft. Download and Save this program and then Run it to see if it clears your problem.

Just had my Windows 8 Notebook 3 weeks now - what a nightmare - full of bugs! Almost took it back to the shop today when I couldn't run any downloaded programs from the internet.

Thank you for your reply

With the app troubleshooter do i need to be on a microsoft account? Am on a local account and when i run the app it says  am not connected to the internet. 

The other thing is i can't switch to a microsoft account. Just at the end of the switching process it always says it couldn't connect  to microsoft services.

HP Recommended

so i was to able to get access to the store via a proxied wi-fi connection(i had to set it as a 'non-metered connection'). I don't know why it doesn't work with a dial up connection or maybe because its metered? Am not sure. I was able to switch to a microsoft account.

But when i try to update these 3 apps i get this(see screenshot)

store2.png

HP Recommended

@samjambo wrote:

so i was to able to get access to the store via a proxied wi-fi connection(i had to set it as a 'non-metered connection'). I don't know why it doesn't work with a dial up connection or maybe because its metered? Am not sure. I was able to switch to a microsoft account.

But when i try to update these 3 apps i get this(see screenshot)

store2.png

Things should be a lot easier if you set up a Microsoft Account - see here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-live/sign-in-what-is-microsoft-account

You sign in to your PC at Log In using your Microsoft Account password but you must be permanently connected to the internet for it all to work properly i.e. on Broadband. You should also download Windows Essentials in order to get Windows Live Mail which will allow you to receive mail from numerous email accounts on the one email program.

I am not a computer expert, just an ordinary user, but the Windows 8 system seems to me to be based around a permanent internet connection and using the Windows Account with its supporting Windows Live programs which you will receive when you download Windows Essentials.

If you have problems with your PC there is another Microsoft site called 'Microsoft Fixit' which will scan your PC for any problems and fix them automatically - see the link here: http://fixitcenter.support.microsoft.com/Portal

After three weeks of trying to get my Windows 8 laptop running properly I am hoping that I might finally have got there but my confidence in the PC has been shattered. However, don't give up and stick with it - frustrating I know but I believe that the Windows 8 system is only a half-way step to the future 'touch-only' devices that wil be on us very shortly.

Do make sure that you have set up your PC to receive automatic updates from Windows Update and HP Update - do this and the following using HP Support Assistant. Also, most important, make sure you have made a System Recovery disk/USB Flash Drive (32Gb) should it all end in disaster! Then set up 'File History'

so that your personal files (as distinct from programs) are backed up and you can restore if necessary.

HP Recommended

The microsoft fixit app does not work with windows 8. Am using the microsoft account and still can't access the store with the dial-up connection.

Another thing i got when using a dial-up was that i couldn't get the windows updates. I got this error "WindowsUpdate_8024402C OR WindowsUpdate_dt000"

HP Recommended

@samjambo wrote:

The microsoft fixit app does not work with windows 8. Am using the microsoft account and still can't access the store with the dial-up connection.

Another thing i got when using a dial-up was that i couldn't get the windows updates. I got this error "WindowsUpdate_8024402C OR WindowsUpdate_dt000"

Yes, I just found out I could not get Microsoft Fixit to work on my Windows 8 PC as well today - sorry about that.

OK, the problem you are getting with the Windows Store Apps Download/Update is the same as what I got. Have you downloaded and run as previously posted?:

"The problem was cleared for me by using the 'Windows 8 App Troubleshooter' "apps.diagcab" program from Microsoft. Download and Save this program and then Run it to see if it clears your problem."

Here is a direct link to the Microsoft Windows 8 App Troubleshooter file 'apps.diagcab' which should be saved in your Downloads folder and then Run from there [keep a copy on your Desktop for future use if need be]: http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/apps.diagcab

Reference: See 'HK8' reply of November 10 2012 http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/windows-8-unable-to-acces... . 

Note HK8 has provided a link to the 'apps.diagcab' file in his post line "I downloaded the Windows App Trouble Shooter from here. "

HP Recommended

Still nothing. The troubleshooter only tells me to update my display driver.

So annoyed. 

i will just uninstall the 3 apps then reinstall them again-maybe when i reinstall i will get the updated ones.

Still not working on a dial up or even on an android hotspot. 

HP Recommended

what's so special about a wired or a wi-fi connection?? The usb modem is fast enough.  The microsoft account does not integrate well with the fingerprint software but .....am starting to hate windows 8. Its so annoying.

MS is forcing things on us.

Now all my messaging(mail,messaging,people) apps don't work.

HP Recommended

@samjambo wrote:

what's so special about a wired or a wi-fi connection?? The usb modem is fast enough.  The microsoft account does not integrate well with the fingerprint software but .....am starting to hate windows 8. Its so annoying.

MS is forcing things on us.

Now all my messaging(mail,messaging,people) apps don't work.

If your apps have stopped working consider doing a system restore to a point when your PC was working OK.

Note that 'System Restore' is NOT the same as System Refresh or System Recovery - it is a recoverable operation allowing you to reset your PC to a past date and if it doesn't fix the new problem you can undo the action or choose another restore point.

To access System Restore, use the HP Support Assistant, Storage Backup and Recovery, Microsoft Windows System Restore, Restore System Files and Settings - follow the instructions and choose a suitable restore point. Give the software time to do its business and don't be too hasty about interrupting the restore process until you are sure it has finished - you may get a blank screen for a period without any indication of what is going on.

Alternatively, and NOT to be done lightly, I had to do a System Refresh to get my PC working properly but if you do this you will lose and have to re-install all non factory fitted programs you have installed - this took me ages to get sorted out again so try the System Restore first and see how it goes but see below.

I hope you are keeping a File History backup of your data as there is a risk you might lose your personal files in this situation. I use File History to backup to a 16Gb Flash Drive. You should have also created System Recovery disks/USB Flash Drive [32Gb] on a different Flash Drive when you first got your PC working as this will allow recovery in event of a major disaster.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.