Question

Honor Student
ScottBS
Message 1 of 6 (1,516 Views)

zimlet errors

Can anybody tell me what a Zimlet is. I continually get Zimlet "initialize_error" when going to e-mail program also when opening an individual e-mail. After telling to "send error report" everything opens up ok. This is very annoying and I can not find any info on Zimlets anywhere. Thanks for any help available.

ScottS

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 6 (1,511 Views)

Re: zimlet errors

Scott,

I don't know where you have been looking, but Zimlets are all over the place - they apparently live in Comcast email.. or Xfinity email - whatever it is called. :smileyhappy:

E_Mail and Xfinity Connect Help

The fixes include Resetting your Internet Explorer (with varying results), clearing the cache in your browser (also may or may not work, depending on the exact Zimlet error)....

Anyway,  Google is full if Zimlets - and you will have better luck tracking them down at Comcast.

• If all else fails, you might try using the Firefox browser to acces your email.  I do know someone who has a Comcast email address and he uses Firefox - he does does not have a Zimlet problem.

Good Luck!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
ScottBS
Message 3 of 6 (1,506 Views)

Thanks,

Yes I found zimlets on my comp. when I searched, what I meant was I couldn't find help from comcast/xfinity in resolving the errror. The exact error states error occured initializing zimlet "comcast_search". Details are;

agetHtmlisnotafunction. I am currently using firefox and have settings set up to clear browser history on log off. I will check my settings. Is clearing the cache the same as deleting browser history?

Thanks again, I apoligize for my lack of computer savvy.

Scott

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 4 of 6 (1,501 Views)

And, I apologise for my "smart mouth".  :smileyhappy:  It is late, and I was more amused by the word "zimlets" than I should have been at your expense.  My apologies.

Clearing history and cache are related, but are (can be) handled separately, at least in Firefox.

You can set up Firefox to clear your history as a custom setting and then tell it how you want things handled inside Settings.

Firefox > Options > Privacy > CHECK Clear History When I close Firefox > Settings

One Example - Your settings / preferences may differ:

Firefox_options_privacy_history_settings.JPG

Now, is this going to do any good for the zimlet infestation?  I don't know.  It depends on the root cause - I've never heard of zimlets before this.

I will take another look around and see if I can find anything useful.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
ScottBS
Message 5 of 6 (1,498 Views)

Thanks,

I was not offended in the least. I really appreciate your help. It is far more than I have been able to get from comcast. I'll give the cache clear settings a try.

Thanks again

Scott

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 6 of 6 (1,486 Views)

Still looking around - most posts on this subject seem to think resetting or clearing the browser (at least temporarily) fixes the issue.  Some people agree that using Internet Explorer is a waste of time for Comcast email as it seems to have more issues with the zimlets.  I do not use IE9 as a rule, so I cannot comment on this line of thinking.

• I did find one more bit that seems of interest; (at least) one post suggests that using the Xfinity Toolbar can cause (or exacerbate) the issue.  Just as a matter of principle I tend to agree with this - toolbars irritate me and I find, in my case, they are the source of more trouble than help.  I avoid the use of Vendor Toolbars.
  • If you can find a way to start your mail directly, that is, ferret out the direct URL to the mail call line, that is, to the main Mail start rather than the Comcast / Xfinity "Front" page, you might bypass the zimlet issues. 

How to start mail directly?  On your front page, whatever that is, hover your mouse over where ever you start mail and see if you can glean the mail URL.  Try using that URL as a starter page to get to your email on a fresh webpage.

Any fix I suggest depends on the root cause of the Zimlet infestation, that is, the WHY and the WHERE.  I cannot see any zmilets from where I am so all of this is speculation at best.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation