HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
09-12-2011 09:37 AM
I have the HP DV7T QE laptop running windows 7 64bit that came installed with the laptop.
I have the simplepass 2011 software installed that came with the computer for managing my fingerprints and there is an option in the software to disable the fingerprint reader/sensor illumination/light. However it does not work. When it is set to enabled, the light continually blinks blue while on the lock screen until my finger is scanned, then it continues to blink once the finger has been scanned and windows has loaded until I scan a second time and ti stops the light. When I go into the simple pass settings and disable the illumination/light, the light will flash and will not stop flashing until I go back into the simple pass settings and re-enable the light. I have tried reinstalling both tghe simple pass software and the figner reader drivers but that did not fix my issue, and I also tried updating the simple pass software but there was none available. All I would like to do is disable the light permanently. Is there a key in the registry that I can change or some other tweak?
07-31-2012 10:09 PM
I have an open ticket with HP Support (which was a royal pain to get it to escalate to someone who doesn't just close the ticket!) and an open ticket with AuthenTec (authors of HP SimplePass) and so far no one has provided a solution to this very annoying problem.
Speaking as a Software Engineer, I'm 99% certain this is a software defect, with a 1% chance it is a hardware problem. Now, the hard part is getting someone to take resposibility.
I'm convinced AuthenTec could work around the problem, by reapplying the current settings on login, but getting them to do that will be the hard part. Give them an email about the problem and don't let them play too many reinstall games with you.
08-05-2012 10:12 PM
On 8/3/2012 4:06 AM, Authentec Support wrote:
so let me recap:
- You have SimplePass 184.108.40.2060 installed
- your driver version is 220.127.116.114 now
Can you please check it? Is that correct?
You are still not able to disable sensor illumination?
Technical Support Engineer
It is clear from your last email that you do not understand the problem, so let me try to explain with steps to reproduce:
1) Boot the system.
2) Note that the sensor illumination is blinking before and after login. *BUG*: It continues to blink always for no good reason.
3) Launch HP Simple Pass
4) Go into settings and uncheck Sensor Illumination.
5) Note that the sensor no longer blinks.
7) *BUG*: The sensor illumination is blinking before and after login and continues to blink always for no good reason.
8) Launch HP Simple Pass
9) Go into settings. *BUG*: The Sensor Illumination check box is unchecked AND the senor is blinking at the same time.
10) Click Save. The sensor stops blinking until the next reboot.
There are 3 bugs/defects (as listed above):
1) The sensor blinks whether or not there is a reason to.
2) You do not remember/reapply Sensor Illumination settings after a reboot.
3) After reboot HP Simple Pass Settings do not reflect reality (check boxes say Sensor Illumination is off, but the sensor is blinking).
Screen capture with version numbers attached as you requested.
If you tell me to update the driver version two things will happen:
1) You'll need to point me to the driver download, as I already downloaded the latest from HP, so they aren't providing the driver you are listing.
2) I will ask you to provide release notes for the driver and tell me which fixes/enhancements you think will resolve the problem.
12-20-2012 10:54 AM
I am experiencing the same problem. The sensor illumination LED continues to blink and light even though I have unchecked the "sensor illumination" box in HP SimplePass. VERY annoying. Any progress with a solution?
SimplePass v. 18.104.22.1687
HP Envy 7020