HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
03-20-2011 05:54 PM
I followed the guides on this forum to downgrade my laptop ( DV3-2150ep) to Windows XP and I have the last problem: the IDT audio driver. The original driver from the HP drivers site for this laptop did not work since the headphones were silent when the jack was plugged in. After experimenting with different IDT driver versions, I found a working version (SP46918), but my situation the following:
- The devcon is needed to restart the Microsoft UUA to get the IDT devices show up after every login, but it is okay.
- What I can not solve: even if I do the trick with the devcon, a manual (forced) device update is needed to reinstall the sp46918 driver files thourgh Device Manager to get the audio up-and-running.
1. Is there any idea what the IDT driver does when it is forced to update? In this case I can write a script to perform the same operations every login.
2. Is there any tool to automate a forced device update from command-line? I tried bunch of device backup/restore tools without success. Only DriverMax works, but it does not have CLI interface. :-|
3. Any other solution found by others?
4. Install Vista. :-((((((
Solved! Go to Solution.
03-20-2011 06:22 PM
Do you have the latest BIOS posted for your model, it sometimes solves the IDT Audio issue.
|******Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******|
**Clicking Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue helps others who are searching**
++You must be the originator of thread to see the option Accept as Solution++
03-21-2011 11:48 AM - edited 03-26-2011 03:16 AM
THIS WAS NOT THE SOLUTION FOR MY PROBLEM IN THE END, BUT PROBABLY IT CAN HELP FOR OTHERS, SO I LEAVE IT AS IT IS.
I must emphasize these few steps can solve the following problem: you could find your IDT driver, it works, but after restarting, the sound stops. Symptoms: the stacsv.exe crashes at login, the Microsoft UAA and IDT devices are not shown in the Device Manager. However, restarting the Microsoft UAA with the devcon utility and a forced update of the IDT device driver recovers the audio.
A post about the devcon utility: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-PC-Sound-and
After installing the Microsoft UUA, IDT driver and placing the devcon.exe to c:\windows\system32:
1. Start regedit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr
2. Go to Start menu/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services and Audio Service/Properties. Turn the Startup type -> Manual
3. Put a start_audio.bat to C:\windows\system32, the content:
c:\windows\system32\devcon.exe restart "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_293E&SUBSYS_306D103C&REV_03"
net start "Audio Service"
4. Go to Control Panel/Scheduled Tasks/Add Scheduled Task. Next, Browse.. and select the start_audio.bat. Next, select "When my computer starts", Next, add user name/password for the Administrator or other Computer administrator user. Next, check in "Open advanced properties..." and Finish. The advanced properties will be opened, go to Settings tab and check out everything ("Stop the task if it runs for...", "Don't start the task if the computer is running on batteries", "Stop the task if battery mode begins"). Click on OK.
5. Restart the computer.
Note: the PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_293E&SUBSYS_306D103C&REV_03 is the Device ID of the Microsoft UAA device in the Device Manager. Please use a different ID if needed on your computer.
Issues: The system tray app and the setup in the Control Panel of the IDT audio driver do not work.
03-26-2011 03:11 AM - edited 03-26-2011 03:22 AM
I have to apologize, it turned out that I had F.05 or F.06 instead of the latest BIOS. Earlier I have not upgraded the BIOS because the changelogs did not show any audio related improvement. I reflashed the machine under Windows XP (however it is not recommended several places, but I had success with that), and voilá, the audio in Windows XP started to work perfectly with the SP46918 without any hacks.