HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
Search the Community
This HP Community is for Customer to Customer Product Support. First Time Here? Check Out Videos on How to Search, Register, Post and More.
Installing Win XP, F6 on HP mini 210-1066sb with Intel Atom (NM10) chipset = ICH7 (solution!) (24508 Views)
04-15-2010 05:40 AM - edited 04-16-2010 12:31 AM
here I have HP mini 210-1066sb.
I wanted to downgraded HPmini with no success even following this good posts:
CPU-Z shows it is NM10 chipset so I should use: ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller.
I have USB floppy so I loaded drivers to floppy and it loads just fine... but it doesn't detect hdd, so no luck installing.
Just to be sure I tested many different versions of chipset drivers from Intel and no luck...
This model of HP mini don't have option to select in BIOS to disable SATA native... so no luck here either.
I almost give up, but I was wondering why the fu*k then HP have on this model also drivers for Windows XP for this particular model.. I said It must be possible to somehow install XP.
P.S.. The only thing I didn't try was nLite, because I had external USB floppy, but as you will see below you will not need it!
This was what I did:
- made backup of HPmini on external USB HDD with Clonzilla (USB mode).
- I have old IBM T60 with installed XP. I installed on this T60 machine drivers for HPmini - this driver (Intel Chipset ICH7 Driver for Microsoft Windows XP). You can use any XP machine you have, but small partitions
- Just to be safe I also prepared sysprep (maybe this was not needed and the machine shutdown
- I have made backup of this IBM T60 machine on external USB HDD with Clonzilla
- Restore backup from previous line to HPmini with Clonzilla
- Test if the machine boots (crash, reboots, BSOD...) so no luck yet !
- Following this very good post I have made USB stick with bootable UBCD4Win
- Boot with UBCD4Win USB stick and follow this good post (from part b., from point 5. to 9.) - this is the most important part! It will detect your HDD and copy your driver and correct your register... [This will teach you how you can transfer WinXP to any other hardware not just HP ]
- Boot machine and uhuhu it booted and sysprep asked me for some file missing(syntpcol.dll) I said skip and finally booted to XP!
- Just now I'm uninstalling all stuff on HPmini which I had on IBM T60 and later I will install all HP drivers...
Maybe I complicated a little but at least finally after one full day of work I have HP mini 2100-1066sb with WinXP.
- Resize partitions with Gparted (on USB)
Why I needed XP? Because Safeguard easy encryption of HDD which doesn't support Visa or Win7 and this will be somebody's working laptop...
Sorry for bad English, I hope I will help somebody as many of you helped me reading your posts
Bye and good luck,