Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have the same problem :smileyindifferent:

Before Upgrading the OS I've updated the BIOS to the version "F.13".

When I first used Windwos 8 the "F12" button didn't work... even after the drivers' installation.

Then I've installed the "Wireless button driver"  ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp58501-59000/sp58720.exe

and nothing changed, just Airplane Mode ON/OFF.

Now, if I close the screen the pc goes in standby mode and here is the point. I open it up again and puff wireless card and bluetooth are now on and are fully working. Even the led on "F12" button is working in the proper way.

I think the problem is the BIOS Update to v. "F.13". Somehow the W&B cards are not powered till I close and reopen the screen. I hope HP will resolve it soon cause It is a terrible BUG.

ps. there are also some problems with the USB ports. They sometimes don't work but with the "standby-wakeup" method everything is resolved.

Waiting for some news...

HP Recommended

I have upgraded my HP Pavilion G6 2000ss to Windows 8 Pro and I have the same problem. Now I'm going to do the solutin that is explained in the Forum about the change of the BIOS. I'll explain if it works.

I need a definitive solutions

Thanks and I'm sorry if my English is poor because I'm not English speaker.

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem. Bought a dv6-7138us with Windows 7. Upgraded to Windows 8 via promo offer. F12 (Wifi toggle) key worked fine. Then updated new BIOS version "F.13". Now I cannot toggle the F12 key. The Wifi is permanently turned on (which is better than having it stuck in off), but I would like my toggle ability back.

Sometimes I go to the coffee shop to type something and I don't want to run down the battery constantly searching for a Wifi signal when I don't need the net. Have you guys found a solution yet? I tried putting the PC to sleep then waking it, but the Wifi key is still stuck in the on position. Thanks.

HP Recommended
i agree with you DexIT
had the same scenario, dv7-7003. updated bios to F.13 and and then later to Win 8 pro

your method works... shut lid-open and hit wifi button and the light turns white 😉

and yes this is an annoying bug, cuz now i have to power up from shutdown, stand by then wake :s
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

DexIT described the problem well. I'm having the same problem with my Pavilion m7-1015dx laptop. Anybody out there HP???

HP Recommended
did the standby-wake solution not working for you ?
HP Recommended

Guys I just figured it out.

Install windows 7 bios ie F.05.

HP Recommended

Justastudent,

The standy-then-wake solution did not work for me. The F12 key is still stuck on white, unable to toggle to orange.

HP Recommended

Vascon,

Your fix works to enable wifi for those people who can't even turn it on, but it doesn't restore function to the F12 key. Most of us would like to use the Wi-Fi key as it's meant to be used. Almost all laptops these days have a key or switch you can toggle to control wifi. It was working fine before the update. Shouldn't have to dig through a bunch of menus to do this.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.