HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
02-05-2009 03:21 AM
If you have purchased a Compaq Presario with only 1GB of Ram then Vista must be removed if you want any type of half decent performance, (Vista 740MB memory used with no apps running - XP - 161MB) however there is no simple list of drivers for you to install so device manager does not report any "Unknown devices".
After hours of searching and reading forums I finally cracked it and got XP running.
1) Slipstream the ICH9M-E/M SATA Driver into a copy of XP - Using Nlite.
2) Install the following drivers, I did not follow any particular order and it still worked OK. Alot of forums talk about the Microsoft UUA patch not been integrated correctly into SP3. I had no great issues in regards to this.
- UAA_Bus_Driver_for_High_Defination_Audio - Install first (If required - Definately required for SP2 or earlier) then reboot <- In theory should be installed already with SP3, however you can check through Device Manager - System Devices
- Intel_Matrix_Storage_Manager - Make sure you install the drivers for the Mobile Intel 4 series Express Chipset Family - http://downloadcenter.intel.com/
- Intel_Chipset_and_Graphics_Drivers - Make sure you install the drivers for the Mobile Intel 4 series Express Chipset Family - http://downloadcenter.intel.com/
- infinst_autol - INF Update app - Make sure you install the drivers for the Mobile Intel 4 series Express Chipset Family - http://downloadcenter.intel.com/
- Realtek_RTL8102E_LAN_Driver - http://www.radarsync.com/driver/d275927-realtek_rt
- Atheros WiFi Device - http://www.atheros.cz/download.php?atheros=AR5006X
- ConexantHDAudio-221_XP & HDAUDIO_Soft_Data_Fax_Modem_with_Smart_CP_Software & Synaptics PS/2 Touchpad - Windows Update Will Install these for you
- Finally the HDMI Intel device that is reported as an unknown audio device - http://rapidshare.com/files/152289190/HDMI.7z.html - Unzip with 7zip and right click the final unknown device - update driver and point to the HDMI folder.
If you are able to follow these instructions you will have a working XP laptop.
04-29-2009 08:20 AM - edited 04-29-2009 10:36 AM
thank you for the info !
this works for me , though only to a certain point .. i have just purchased a new 210TU with vista , and made my own xp boot cd with nlite . When installing xp (with sp3) gets to a point then reboots , and when is loading the xp logo , there is a glimpse of BSOD and it restarts over and over with prompt for safe mode , last known config ..etc ..
i did read on the forum that it could be due to an error when copying the ICH9M driver , ( i used f6flpy32_85 and iaAHCI.inf ) so i will try again tomorrow morning with some new DVD and copying on the slowest settings. Is there any other reason it would not complete the installation?
-update , ended up getting this to install with no problem , used different version of XP ( though still with SP3). =)