Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have just booted up my HP Pavilion dv6-6b09sa (running on Windows 7) laptop to find that the sound icon has a red cross next to it and it claims that 'No speakers or headphones are plugged in'. In the Control Panel it states that the AMD High Definition Audio Device is Not Plugged In.

As far as I know, I've done nothing to cause this.

I have already tried:

System restore to yesterday at 10pm;

Instalation of a TDI driver from the HP website, however I do not know how to edit/disable/delete the old driver. I'm completely clueless about these things.

Please help, I'm at a complete loss.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

Try the following.

Download the IDT Audio installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54001-54500/sp54400.exe

When done, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager and open up Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  Right click the IDT device and select Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.

When complete, restart the notebook and let Windows fully load.  Open your Downloads folder, right click on the IDT installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, right click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select Playback Devices.  Left click 'Speakers and Headphones' once to highlight it and then click the Set Default button - check if you now have audio.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

Hi,

The AMD High Definition Device is only required audio when using an HDMI connection to an external display, so it's not the cause of your current audio problem.

Open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager and open up Sound, Video and Game Controllers - post back with the full names of each device listed here.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

AMD High Definition Audio Device

Bluetooth Hands-Free Audio

Cyberlink Webcam Virtual Driver

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

The Audio CODEC has a warning icon next to it and the device status states: 'Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)'

As I said, I did download and install a new one but did not touch the old one.

Thanks for your support.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

Try the following.

Download the IDT Audio installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54001-54500/sp54400.exe

When done, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager and open up Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  Right click the IDT device and select Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.

When complete, restart the notebook and let Windows fully load.  Open your Downloads folder, right click on the IDT installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, right click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select Playback Devices.  Left click 'Speakers and Headphones' once to highlight it and then click the Set Default button - check if you now have audio.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

This has worked perfectly. Thank you very much!

I was more paniced by having no source of music than I am by meeting deadlines tomorrow so thank you again!

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome and good to know you have your music back :generic:

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

This fixed my problem!  Thanks so much. :womanlol:

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome and that's good to hear :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

i love you so much. lifesaver

HP Recommended

This happened to me too. I own an HP Pavilion dv7-1135nr (Windows Vista). The internal hard drive stopped working, I took it to a computer repair shop, they put in a new internal hard drive, asked Microsoft for a key code and jump started the laptop. I took it home with me yesterday, watched a few videos and wondered why the sound wasn't working. The volume light on the laptop base was indicated as red (which meant the volume was off, even when the volume on the laptop screen was on). The only way I was able to hear sounds from videos was when I put my ear phones on. 

I read somebody say that this happened to them and they restarted/rebooted their computer. I did that and, expectedly, it didn't work. 

I came across this page, opened up "Device Manager," opened up "Sound, Video and Game Controllers." Right-clicked the "IDT Device" and then uninstalled it. My laptop then restarted and thankfully the sound was back up. I didn't need to download anything or right click the "IDT Installer" or "Right click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select Playback Devices.  Left click 'Speakers and Headphones' once to highlight it and then click the Set Default button" or any of that. It thankfully came back without me having to do any of that.

I restarted/rebooted my computer to see if it was a fluke, and thankfully it worked again.  Now I don't have to use my ear phones. My ears didn't like being pumped with sound, even when it was on low.

My "Digital Display Audio" is still not checked green. It says that it's "not plugged in."

But hopefully I won't run into this problem again in the future. Because if I'm a week or two or a month removed, the repair people I initially went to for my internal hard drive problem, will say that this was a separate issue caused by me and will charge me extra, when it was in fact caused by them (not maliciously of course, I guess this kind of thing happens when you replace a hard drive, as do a lot of other things which I'm not beginning to see). Thanks DavidPK.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.