Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

All the sudden my audio is not plugged in.  My system shows that it is enabled, but there is a red "X" over the sound icon on the bottom right of my screen.

I've had it less than a week. 

Product name: HP 15 Notebook PC

Product number: F9H60UA#ABA

Windows 8.1 64-bit

Please help!

Looking at my installed programs, I don't see it listed as being installed- but I have had sound previously.

thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, just select to save audio installer file - if it overwrites an existing version that's fine, however don't run the installer until you restarted and reset the bios defaults.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

The AMD High Definition Audio device is only used for audio over an HDMI connection to an external display - if the problem is just with your notebooks internal speakers, try the following.

Download the Realtek Audio installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66501-67000/sp66559.exe

When done, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager and open up Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  Right click the Realtek device and select Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.

When complete, shut down the notebook by holding down the left Shift key as you click on Shutdown to temporarily prevent a hybrid boot.

Unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f5 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

Let Windows fully load - it will automatically load an audio driver, but just let this complete.  Then open your Downloads folder, right click on the Realtek Audio installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, right click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select Playback Devices.  Left click 'Speakers and Headphones' ( or Speakers/HP )  once to highlight it and then click the Set Default button - check if you now have audio.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

HI DP-K,

I down loaded the link you sent me and they when I went to save it, my pc said I already had that file.

Should I save it again and install over the other?

Thanks,

notatechylady!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, just select to save audio installer file - if it overwrites an existing version that's fine, however don't run the installer until you restarted and reset the bios defaults.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your  help- the process went very smooth for "not a techy lady"!

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're more than welcome and glad it helped :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.