Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Same problem as aldwellangel (04-30-2014): failed attempt to install device driver.  The error message was preceded by a message box entitled "Installing device driver software" which said it was "Searching preconfigured driver folders ...".  Problem started some months ago for no apparent reason, but its only effect seems to be to delay startup.  At the same time a similar problem occurred with "IDT High Definition Audio Codec"; this was solved by installing the driver from the hp site.

I downloaded and installed the 64 bit driver in accordance with the posted Solution, but that made no difference. I then downloaded the 32 bit driver.  It would not install, the installation program reported "No driver was supported in this driver package".

I am running an hp Pavilion dv7 with Win7 up to date.

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hello @hgfr ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you're experiencing a pop up when booting your PC that is searching for drivers for the ATI HD Audio Device driver, and will not install.

Could you please tell me if you are using a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 7?

It would also help to know which notebook you have. For information on finding your product and model numbers click here: How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Try using the HP Support Assistant (HPSA) to search for drivers for your notebook. You can download this here: HP Support Assistant.

For instructions on using it you can view this document: Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 7, Windows Vista)

Let me know which notebook you have, and if the HPSA worked. Smiley Happy

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hail The Great Deku Tree!

I am using the 64 bit version - I don't quite know why, because I thought I started on the 32 bit version.

Product number is WT509PA#ABG.

I already have the Support Assistant installed.  It reports:

Device                                             Status                 Driver                       Version

ATI High Definition Audio Device         Enabled           AtiHdmi.sys              7.11.0.7706

When I use it to "Get Assistance" through "Self Help" by running "Automated Diagnostics and Troubleshoot", it provides a "Health Analysis" screen which reports:

"Connecting to HP Servers                   Pass

Downloading Updates                          Fail

Gathering Information                         Fail

Analysing System                                   Fail

Preparing Action List                             Pass".

The Windows Action Centre reports "No current issues detected".

Thanks for your intervention.

hgfr

HP Recommended

Hey hgfr,

Can you please list all of the devices in the Sound category of Device Manager, as well as any notifications on the ATI HD Audio Device such as ? ! X or a down arrow. 

You may find the ATI HD Audio Device is listed under Other devices instead of Sound, which might require you to click View and Show hidden devices in Device Manager.

If sound is working and you want to stop this pop up, you can simply disable the ATI HD Audio Device, assuming sound continues to work after doing this.

I look forward to your reply! 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hello GDT

In Device Manager, the heading "Sound, video and game controllers" lists

"ATI High Definition Audio Device

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC".

There are no notifications on the former and when its Properties box is opened, the General tab shows "This device is working properly."

Under the Driver tab of that box, pressing the "Driver Details" button opens a box listing two driver files:

"C:\Windows\system32\drivers\AtiHdmi.sys  provided by ATI Technologies Inc, version 7.11.0.7706"; and

"C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ksthunk.sys provided by Microsoft, version 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)".

Showing hidden devices in Device Manager reveals a list of Non-Plug and Play Drivers (none apparently related to ATI) and no "Other devices" heading.

Disabling it would be a last resort, as I sometimes use the HDMI port to connect to a TV monitor.

Thanks again,

hgfr

HP Recommended

Hey hgfr,

Try updating the chipset drivers. You can find these here: Intel Chipset Installation Utility and Driver.

Also, try reinstalling the GPU which controls the HDMI audio: AMD High-Definition Graphics Driver

If the pop-up is more of an annoyance it is possible to disable the popup from showing, but it's still going to search for new drivers each time you boot and will also hide other new hardware from showing up when connected. To do this:

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. Type gpedit.msc and click OK.
  3. Expand the Computer Configuration section on the left.
  4. Expand the Administrative Templates section.
  5. Expand the System section.
  6. Click on Device Installation.
  7. On the right you should see a list of settings. Double click on Turn off "Found New Hardware" balloons during device installation.
  8. Click Enabled in the upper left area. (Yes, enabled. Not disabled. You are enabling the turn off feature.)
  9. Click OK.
  10. Close the Group Policy Editor.

Let me know if updating the chipset or GPU helps or if disabling the popup is OK. 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hello GDT

HP Recommended

Dear GDT,

1.  I have updated the chipset drivers as recommended. I am surprised I was not notified by the system that new drivers were available, but that is another issue. It did not fix the problem.

2.  I tried reinstalling the GPU as recommended. As part of that process a program called ATI Catalyst Install Manager ran. In the course of its run it returned an error message:

"Driver Install: the INF file was not found".

When the process concluded it presented an Installation Report. That stated among other things:

"ATI Display Driver
              Final Status:           Fail
              Version of item:        8.771.1.0000
              Size:                   90 Mbytes

HDMI/DP Audio Driver
              Final Status:           Fail
              Version of item:        7.11.0.7706
              Size:                   1 Mbytes".

At the foot of the report, under the heading "Error messages", it reported:
          "Driver Install: the specified driver package was not installed for matching devices".

3.  The pop-up as such does not bother me, it is the delay while the system apparently hunts for a driver which is the problem.

Do you know the file name of the 64-bit driver? I could do a search to see if it is somewhere on the system.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hey hgfr,

When you run the installer it should extract to your Temp folder.

Try clearing the Temp folder by pressing Windows Key + R, type %temp% and click OK. Select everything and delete the files. You may get warnings about files needing permission to remove or that files are in use and cannot be deleted, simply continue with the files or skip the ones in use.

Once cleared run the installer again and a new folder should show up with the extracted contents of the installer package. You should be able to go into Device Manager and right-click on the device and choose Update driver software. You will need to specify the location and eventually should be given the option to click Have Disk. From here you would be able to direct the installer to the new folder and point it to the Autorun.inf file which will search the contents of the folder for any available drivers. 

If that doesn't work uninstall the GPU from Device Manager and make sure you click the box to delete the install package. Don't reboot after. Run the installer again and see if it goes through properly. Also make sure you don't have any anti-virus software running. Alternatively you can attempt installing the GPU from safe mode to eliminate things running in the background.

Let me know if that works. 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hello again GDT,

I cleared the Temp folder by the method you suggested. It contained more than 3000 mostly empty subfolders! Why doesn't Microsoft Cleanup deal with these?

First option
I ran the installer again. It put nothing in the Temp folder. It created a new folder automatically, called C:\swsetup\SP50640. (I had deliberately deleted the one it created on the previous attempt.) It deposited a considerable number of files and folders into that folder. None was called Autorun.inf. The only inf files were:

C:\SwSetup\sp50640\Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF\C7105895.inf
   C:\SwSetup\sp50640\Packages\Drivers\Display\W7_INF\CW105895.inf
   C:\SwSetup\sp50640\Packages\Drivers\Display\WDM\HDMI\W7\AtihdW73.inf
   C:\SwSetup\sp50640\Packages\Drivers\Display\WDM\HDMI\W764a\AtihdW76.inf.

Other folders in C:\SwSetup contained files called Autorun.inf but seem to relate to other programs or devices.

After the files are extracted a program called ATI Catalyst Install Manager v 03.00.0790 runs. It asks if the user wants to create a folder C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies if that folder does not already exist. The error message described earlier comes during the time this program is running. After it finishes, the ATI Technologies folder is empty.

There being no Autorun.inf I could not use Device Manager in accordance with your third paragraph above.

Second option
I don't quite understand what you mean by "uninstall the GPU" from Device Manager. Precisely what should I uninstall? The installer for SP50640 has an uninstall option which I ran. That produced an error message "Driver Install: the INF file was not found". It did not remove the folder C:\SwSetup\sp50640 but it did remove C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies.

Third option.
I tried installing in Safe Mode, but received an error message notifying me that Windows Installer does not work in Safe Mode.

hgfr

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.