Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Thank you very much!  Worked with your link to the step by step instruction.  the right mouse on recording screen is what was getting me.  I kept clicking properties in the bottom right corner.  LOL  Sometimes it is the simple things that stump us.   Thanks again.

Cindy

HP Recommended

You're welcome.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

To go to more further details.

It's that some people aren't able to see the "Show Disabled Devices."

To do it go to:

Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Recording > Right click on Stereo Mix (if you have another one that isn't called Stereo Mix then right click that one) > Click on "Show Disabled Devices." > Now the microphone should appear > right click the default microphone > click enable it.

Thank you,

Hope I helped out. 

HP Recommended

I had the same problem then realized he said RIGHT CLICK.  There is no option that says "view disable devices" on the screen; you have to right click your mouse to see the drop down box...there will be an option that says "View Disable Devices."    All the best

HP Recommended

xinort, i tried it your way and it was very simple to recover.......this feature is missleading and when the icon just dissapear, panic sets in.

i recovered the mic and it is working fine. thanks

HP Recommended

Hello, I did exactly what you recommended and it worked.  However, now I have a very bad "echo" coming through my speakers and if I "boost" the microphone settings I get this terrible feedback sound and it is not controllable.  I have to literally shut down the laptop and re-start it again.  The sound is really awful and I don't know where the settings are to eliminate this.  Even right now as I am typing I can hear the microphone picking up the sound from my mouse.  It's really bad!!  Also when having a conversation in any chat room websites the people say they cannot hear me. Can you please help me?  I would like to get this resolve ASAP.  Looking forward to hearing from you.  Thank you.  

HP Recommended

@ENTERPRISE31417

Hi,

Please start a new post because this topic is only about problem with disabled microphone and when you will do this post here link to it.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

Yep, that worked for me too.  Its not very apparent when you are there though.  Thanks - whoever you are!

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem, but there is no "Show disabled devices" option.  Where else might that be?

HP Recommended

Hi, your direction and download did not work for me. I received a error message that I have no audio devices on my computer. So is there a download for that?

Also under recording there are no devices listed and none of the buttons on the bottom are highlighted.

I disabled the built in mic hoping I could use the mic on my headphones for making Google Voice or Skype calls. When I did work with the built in mics before they reverberated and caused all types of noise. They also cut out my voice and other people couldn't hear me. Now, I seem to have a worst problem with no mic or audio devices detected on my computer.

The person who mentioned right clicking on the Recording box solved my problem.

Not sure which operating systemn I have, Windows 8.1 but don't know the bites.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.