Question

Tutor
Kobby
Message 1 of 13 (4,851 Views)
Accepted Solution

After XP downgrade, sound comes through both headphones and speakers

Hi Forum Family,

I recently downgraded my Pavilion dv2615nr from Vista to Windows XP. Managed to install all the drivers and then followed advice from CherylG (to whom I owe my ability to do anything with this laptop, frankly) to get the sound working.

My remaining problem is that plugging in my headphones doesn't cut off the sound through my speakers.

I have tried reinstalling the drivers following Cheryl G's advice but it returns me to the same problem.

Can anyone help a newbie?

Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 2 of 13 (4,800 Views)

Re: After XP downgrade, sound comes through both headphones and speakers

That driver is known good and I used it in my notebook (see my sig)

However, that driver have poor quality when I use mic for chatting.

Try modded driver from Toshiba driver Here

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 3 of 13 (4,734 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Kobby

I remember one situation. When Cheryl PM me some time ago with link to thread with the same problem on dv2000 or dv6000. So try method from below maybe this will solve Your problem.

Download audio driver (released date: August 2009) from here.

Intructions how to install it in XP.

1. Extract this driver with Winrar.
  2. Open Device manager and expand the Sound, video and game controllers section.
  3. Right click on Either the High Definition Audio Device if you have the generic Microsoft drivers, or the Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221 if you have older Conexant drivers and choose "Update Driver Software..."
  4. Click Browse my computer for driver software, then click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
  5. Click "Have Disk..." then Browse to the folder where the drivers were extracted  .......\XP32 for 32-bit XP. Click OK.
  6. Select one of the "Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221" models in the list, there may be multiple identical entries.
  7. Click Next, and you're done.

I'm not sure which one from the list will work for You.

Let us know about results.

Message Edited by Daniel_Potyrala on 08-12-2009 01:57 PM

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Tutor
Kobby
Message 4 of 13 (4,538 Views)

Thanks for the swift replies and suggestions!

@Rakmad: followed your advice but received the following error

" Bad DirectSound driver. Please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration. Error code: 88780078"

@Daniel_Potyrala: the only entry that came up was for 'Conexant 20561 SmartAudio HD'. I gave it a try regardless but nothing happened (ie. I still had sound but earphones still didn't cut off the speakers).

Please, please, please let me know if you have any other suggestions (or if I need to give further information)

Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 5 of 13 (4,507 Views)

You need to uninstall the current sound driver from add/remove program in control panel, rebort before installing any new drivers.

That driver is working fine with my notebook.

Have you update it to XP-SP3? download it here

Failing to clean uninstall the driver will lead to many sad sorry.

Good luck.

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 6 of 13 (4,385 Views)

Could you check hardware ID in device manager for your sound chip? double clicks it, tab to details, copy it by ctrl + C

post it here.

If I'm not mistaken you have venice chip, your hardware ID would looks like:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_5045&SUBSYS_103C30D6

Both posted drivers above will not work.

Daniel drivers link definitely is not yours.

Mine, is not Hermosa chip.

This weekend, I'm trying to mod conexant driver, if you are still there, please post, i'll provide you with my modded driver.

______

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 7 of 13 (4,375 Views)

I agree with Rakhmad. Device id will give us all informations about Your hardware and I'm sure then He will find something for You.

We may say then You both have the same model and as I wrote I wasn't sure then driver which I gave You will work for You.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Tutor
Kobby
Message 8 of 13 (4,289 Views)

Hi Guys,

@Rakmad: you're right. Installed SP3 but made no difference. And my ID is HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_5045&SUBSYS_103C30D6&REV_1001\4&C3AE3CA&2&0001

Any hope for me?

Thanks again for all your help so far, by the way.

K

Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 9 of 13 (4,259 Views)

@Kobby

Your sound chip is Venice, the one that difficult to find running in XP,

Try using CherylG linked files, the modded driver by silver almost a year ago, but replace WiSVHe5.inf with this file

Run the same procedure to install it.

Please remember you need to uninstall the driver before running any new drivers, go to control panel, uninstall sound driver from add/remove programs, reboot.

If that mod does not work, try using other HP model that use Venice chip, however, the driver do not have smartaudio capability.

BTW, when it was in Vista do the sound have smartaudio option in control panel?

Those models are HP 520 and HP 530

You may try to play with it, but my best guess ports setting are different.

here

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp41501-42000/sp41836.exe

You need to extract it manually and force it to run by using device manager.

The

______

Teacher
Jim_Mohr
Message 10 of 13 (4,165 Views)

did you get things working? ... 3.26.0.50 is what I am running and it seems to work as expected ... I will post if you aren't up and running
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation