Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi there,

A few days ago I updated from the Windows 8.1 evaluation to the full 8.1 release and since then my audio has not been working. In the control panel, "Digital Display Audio (AMD High Definition Audio Device)" is listed as unplugged. The audio icon on the taskbar is Xed out and clicking it runs the error finder in vain. Speakers no longer show up in the device listing although now that nothing is working I'm not sure if they ever did or if audio just came through Digital Display Audio. Headphones do not show up as playback devices and the volume controls on the keyboard and taskbar are inaccessible. I have never used external speakers.

The Windows 8.1 update seemed to wipe all of my HP and AMD software that came with the laptop so I reinstalled the HP Support Center and searched for driver updates and all that jive but everything shows as up to date. I don't know what else to look for as most of the forums I've seen seem to be talking about their HDMI out sound not working when plugged into a TV and I'm just trying to have sound, period.

HP ENVY m6 Notebook PC

D1C68UA#ABA

Windows 8.1 64-bit
AMD A10-4600M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 7660G
AMD High Definition Audio Device

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. It's been a few days and it's fairly annoying when everything was just dandy before updating.

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Chris,

Try the following.

Download the IDT Audio installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59501-60000/sp59861.exe

When done, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager and open up Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  If you see an entry for IDT HD Audio ( or very similar IDT entry ), right click the device and select Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.  If there was no IDT entry, just proceed below.

When complete, shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f5 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

Let Windows fully load - it will automatically load an audio driver, but just let this complete.  Then open your Downloads folder, right click on the IDT installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, right click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select Playback Devices.  Left click 'Speakers and Headphones' once to highlight it and then click the Set Default button - check if you now have audio.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43
HP Recommended

Hi Chris,

Try the following.

Download the IDT Audio installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

When done, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager and open up Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  If you see an entry for IDT HD Audio ( or very similar IDT entry ), right click the device and select Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.  If there was no IDT entry, just proceed below.

When complete, shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f5 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

Let Windows fully load - it will automatically load an audio driver, but just let this complete.  Then open your Downloads folder, right click on the IDT installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, right click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select Playback Devices.  Left click 'Speakers and Headphones' once to highlight it and then click the Set Default button - check if you now have audio.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I have a Pavilion 15-e050sa laptop and my audio has also stopped working, but this time after an update of the Realtek HD Audio driver. Sound was working fine before and also after I rolled back the driver, but not with the latest driver installed.

Callum_D
HP Recommended

Excellent! It lives!

Thanks a lot!

Chris

HP Recommended

Thank you so much, this worked.

HP Recommended

I have a DV4-1120-us. And after the windows 8.1 update i get no sound on tv using hdmi, only video. With windows 8.0 was all fine (video and audio). Can someone help me?

HP Recommended

I understand you are having issues with your sound after doing updates to Windows 8.1. I was wondering what happens when you follow the post from DavidPK.

Try the following.

When done, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager and open up Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  If you see an entry for IDT HD Audio  (or very similar IDT entry), right click the device and select Uninstall .You should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.  If there was no IDT entry, just proceed below.

When complete, shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds. Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f5 to load the defaults (this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key), use the arrow keys to select Yes and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select Yes and hit enter.

Let me know how this goes.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi there,
A few days ago I updated from the Windows 8 to the 8.1, When i plug in speakers and since then my audio is different, I checked my Sound Control Panel and, finding that was not the problem. When I go to Controls Beats audio settings on "listening experience" and change the music to voice, and voice to music, volume to increase to normal, to actually supposed to be, and after a few seconds again to return to the old. Half the volume than it should. Is there a way this can be fixed?
HP ENVY m6 Notebook PC
Product number: D4M19EA#ABU
Windows 8.1 64-bit

AMD A10-4600M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 7660G
AMD High Definition Audio Device

Thanks for any help in advance!

Gugljo

HP Recommended

Hi Gugljo,

I would uninstall the driver, restart the computer and reinstall.

If you are not sure of the driver for audio go to the link provided.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html

Hope this works.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi Mrstenter 

I did exactly what you said, but the problem still remained.

Thank you.

Gugljo

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.