Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I bought a new Windows HP 110-210 desktop.  At first the sound system worked but now i get no sound at all. 

I may have upgraded the 8.1 system and where do i go from here.  I've tried all the recommendation suggested by my HP advisers and nothing works. Sure need the sound system.

HP Recommended

Hello everyone,

I understand that there is no sound coming from the computer in Windows 8.1. For starters, please try the steps in this HP document: No Sound from Speakers (Windows 😎

Please try the steps and let me know what happens. Thanks!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I haven't had to do this for some months...
...until the latest Win Doze 8.1 update, when unsuprisingly  something went wrong.
This time it was no audio on any program.
Yet Win Doze audio tests yielded sound from the speakers.

Tried the µSoft help - no help, no surprise.

Executed DavidPK's procedure, drivers reinstalled - fixed!

(See the 2nd post, 1st page of this thread.)

Thanks again DavidPK!

HP Recommended
What if i cant aceses my laptops batery do i just reset it
HP Recommended

will this solution work for auto upgrades to windows 8 about 2 weeks ago (7/10/2014) which wiped out my audio?

HP Recommended

GGinSanDiego,

The troubleshooting would be applicable in your situation. Feel free to try it out!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

hi DP-K:

i had the same problem in my laptop envym6 when i turn the lapltop on the sound works properly but after a while it suddenly stops then  i restart the windows it works again  and it suddenly stops an go on and go on . i tried ur solution but didnt work so what is the solution for my problem.

best regards.   waleed

HP Recommended

Spread the word - this problem crosses computer types and audio card types. The problem is in the Windows 8.1 update itself. And, it is snap easy to fix!!!! I have only found it to happen in 64bit versions, however, but I would believe it is a similar situation in 32bit.

Most, if not all, virus protectors will recognize a DLL update in the System32 folder as a virus after the update. If you have the anti-virus on 'automatic', it will automatically place the DLL in the virus vault. This will actually affect several areas of your PC but the most obvious is the sound service goes out (you will find it slower to start, certain services go out, and a variety of other things). Even if you have your anti-virus on semi-automatic, it will be presented to you such that you may not notice that it is a REAL DLL that belongs in System32 folder and you might protect yourself against it by telling the anti-virus to protect you.

I have worked with 15 or so PC's that ALL had the same problem and were ALL fixed exactly the same way. Go into your Virus Vault of your anti-virus (found it in AVG, Kapersky, Norton, and others) and look for an entry in the vault that is a DLL in your c:\Windows\System32 folder. It will most likely be the last 'virus' vaulted by your anti-virus. Simply Restore that file from the Vault. Your anti-virus will learn from this action not to touch it again. Then reboot and all will be well again.

Seriously, no bull. Like I said, 15 of 15. Hope this helps. Please spread the word around to other forums where this problem is being discussed.

Greg

HP Recommended

Problem solved, installed Ubuntu.

HP Recommended

Chris,

I'm currently having the same exact issue as you. I have searched for an answer everywhere online and your post is the first one i've found with the same problem i'm facing. Did you find a solution to the sound problem? If so i'd appretiate any help or answers a lot. Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.