Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi..

I have a HP Pavilion DV4T-1400 laptop which came pre-installed with windows vista. Since vista was running very slow, I wanted to upgrade to windows 7. I wiped out the entire harddisk, formatted it completely and install windows 7. Everything works like charm, except audio.

I have been searching internet for potential solutions and trying anything suggested. I have reinstalled audio drivers, tried audio drivers for vista, tried downloading from different sources/hp sites etc etc., but to no effect.

In the device manager, under "sound, video and game controllers", I have the following two.

1. High Definition Audio Device.

2. IDT High Definition Audio Codec.

The hardware ids for the high definition audio device are:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2802&SUBSYS_80860101&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2802&SUBSYS_80860101

The hardware ids for the IDT high definition audio codec are:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76B2&SUBSYS_103C30F9&REV_1003
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76B2&SUBSYS_103C30F9

The volume icon in the taskbar displays "Speakers and Dual Headphones: 100%" when I move the cursor over it. It does not show any red cross buttons over it. I am sure that the volume is not muted. When I 'right-click' on the icon and select "playback devices" I could see a set of devices as shown in the figure below. 

playback-devices.jpg     playback-devices-1.jpg

When I play some audio/video file using windows media player/ vlc player, I could see the green colour bar in the device "Speakers and Dual Heaphones" moving up and down indicating audio is being played, as shown in the right hand side figure. But, neither in my speakers, nor when I connect a headphone, I could not hear audio. 

I am unable to figure out what is the problem. Kindly help me with this.

Thanks and regards,

Palani.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi Palani,

First, download and reinstall the Chipset drivers from the following link.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45001-45500/sp45213.exe

When this has completed, restart the notebook.

When windows has reloaded, download and install the relevant Intel Graphics driver ( this should provide the HD Audio Driver ) from the links below.

Intel Graphics Driver - Windows 7 32bit.

Intel Graphics Driver - Windows 7 64bit.

When done, restart the notebook.

Download the IDT Audio installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45001-45500/sp45211.exe

When done, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager and open up Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  Right click the IDT device and select Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.

When complete, shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold  down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Re-insert the battery, plug in the AC Adapter and start the notebook.

Let Windows fully load.  Open your Downloads folder, right click on the IDT installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, right click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select Playback Devices.  Left click 'Speakers and Headphones' once to highlight it and then click the Set Default button - check if you now have audio.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. I have installed the softwares that you mentioned in the same order as you asked. However, I encountered the following issues.

Before installing the driver sp45211.exe, after restarting from the previous step, the windows automatically loaded an IDT driver. I am not sure whether this is the one same as the driver specified above or is it different. I reinstalled 45211 after windows finished installing the default driver. However, that did not solve the problem. I still did not get audio.

I googled and found this link. I edited the gpedit.msc file and enabled "Prevent Installation of Devices not described by other policy settings". Then I restarted the machine after uninstalling the IDT driver codec in device manager. This time windows did not install any default driver. However, when I tried installing sp45211.exe, I was not successful. While updating the audio hardware configuration, it gave an error message "The hardware detected is not supported by this IDT software package. The installation will be aborted".

Am I installing the correct driver? Is there anything else I can do?

PS: I would like to add an additional observation. When the windows is loading, the little orange indicator above the keyboard glows - indicating that the audio is muted. The audio remains muted until the login screen comes. With the default driver that windows installs, the indicator switches off in login screen. However, I did not get audio. I do not remember noticing something like this in vista. Does this signify anything?

Regards,

Palani.

HP Recommended

Hi Palani,

Apart from sp45211, did the Chipset and Intel drivers install Ok?

Try the following and let me know.

Open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager and open up Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  Right click the IDT device and select Properties.  Click the Driver tab and click the Update Driver button.  Select 'Browse my computer for driver software' and then select 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'.  Left click the entry High Definition Audio Device to highlight it and then click Next.

Does this install without error and do you get any sound?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi David,

Thanks again for your reply. Yes, the other drivers installed with out any errors.

I have tried to manually "pick from a list of device drivers", as you asked. This time, it installed without errors. However, I am still not getting audio (neither in speaker, nor in headphone).

Can you guess any reasons for this problem?

Regards,

Palani.

HP Recommended

Hi Palani,

First, reset the bios defaults as follows.

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as soon as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Press f5 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

If you still have no audio, open windows Control Panel, open Administrative Tools and open Services.  Check that the following services are all showing as Status= Started and Start-up Type= Automatic

Audio Service

Multimedia Class Scheduler

Windows Audio

Windows Audio Endpoint Builder

If you need to make a change to any of the above, just right click the service and select Properties, then in the dropdown box next to 'Start-up type',  select Automatic and click Apply to save the change.  Then click the Start button.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Hi David, I reset the bios to defaults and found the audio still not working. So, I went ahead with the next step. Under services, except the first of the four services that you mentioned, all of them are started and automatic. When I started "audio service", the following warning message came. "The Audio Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs." I started playing windows media player and tried again and got the same error. What shall I do further? Regards, Palani.
HP Recommended

Hi Palani,

First of all, click the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In to the prompt type the following command and hit enter.

sfc /scannow                 ( note that there is a space between sfc and the / )

Let the process complete, then type exit and hit enter.

Restart the notebook.

When windows has fully reloaded, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager, open Sound, Video and Game Controllers, right click on the IDT device and select Properties.  Click the Driver tab and then click the 'Update driver' button - in the following window, select the option to update from the Internet.

Does windows locate and download a driver?

If it does, do you now have any audio?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Hi David,
The scan was successful. It displayed a message that windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations. Then I updated the driver. Earlier I had manually updated sp45211 from the hard disk as you had directed then. After that updation, the "sound, video and game controllers" in the device manager had shown only "High definition audio device". There was no reference to any IDT in that.
Now, driver updation from internet was also successful. The device manager shows "IDT High definition CODEC" and "Intel(R) high definition audio HDMI" under "sound, video....."
I checked services under administration tools. Now, even that "Audio service" which refused to start earlier has started and is set to automatic. But, I still do not have audio. What can I try further?
HP Recommended

Hi Palani,

That's good that all the Services rquired are now running Ok.

Try the following and let me know.

Right click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select 'Playback Devices'.  Right click on an empty area of this window and make sure that both 'Show Disabled Devices' and 'Show Disconnected Devices' are both ticked.

Next, right click the Intel HD Audio entry and select Disable.

Right click the IDT HD Audio entry and select Disable.

Restart the notebook.

When windows has fully loaded, right click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select 'Playback Devices'.  Right click the IDT entry ( leave the Intel Disabled ) and select Enable and also set this as the 'Default device'.

Any change?

Best regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.